Figure out how to live in the worst-case. 
Or play Rambo in the woods, and max out your privilege. 

Your thoughts?

Main Menu

Recent posts

#1
Past Peak / - It Is Difficult to Get a M...
Last post by K-Dog - Today at 12:12 PM
Quote from: RE on Today at 11:58 AM
Quote from: K-Dog on Today at 10:36 AMWhen there are no humans left on the planet, there is nobody left to say people have become extinct.

To you, everything depends on the existence of people.

RE

No that is your point of view, and now you have reached the point of desperation.  You have to throw whales and aliens into the picture making them humans by proxy, so your universe of ideas can stay alive.  And if that does not work god will have to do.

The universe does not need people to exist. 

Whales do not know what extinction is.  If you claim otherwise you will have to prove it.  Aliens may be smart with their own science, and philosophies and religion.  All of which will be as divorced from human experience as the experience of whales is.  What goes on in brains of whales and aliens has no relation to humanity.  The universe of human ideas is gone when humans are gone.  Why, because that universe never existed in the first place.

#2
Past Peak / - It Is Difficult to Get a M...
Last post by RE - Today at 11:58 AM
Quote from: K-Dog on Today at 10:36 AMWhen there are no humans left on the planet, there is nobody left to say people have become extinct.

If there are any whales left, I am sure they will notice the oceans are a lot nicer and there are more fish to eat.

This also presumes there is no God.  I'm sure God would notice.

If aliens come by, I am sure they would notice the ruins and notice that whoever built the stuff was no longer around.

To you, everything depends on the existence of people.  To me, nothing depends on the existence of people.  If a tree falls in an empty forest, does it make a sound?  I say, sure it does, you say no it doesn't, because there are no people to sense the vibrations and interpret that as sound.  You see the world one way, I see it the other.  Neither way is right or wrong, just different ways to describe existence.  Whatever works for you.

RE
#3
Past Peak / - It Is Difficult to Get a M...
Last post by Philoso Raptor - Today at 11:36 AM
Philosophers interpret the world in various ways, but the point is to change it.
#4
Life on the Doomstead / - Solar Power, The Evolution...
Last post by RE - Today at 10:43 AM
Quote from: TDoS on Today at 09:41 AM
Quote from: RE on Today at 01:59 AMNice one. :)  Good choice.
RE
For my area perhaps. Cold winters that reduce mile/kwh by -20%, but not that bad, but the traction control on electrics is awful. You get stuck pulling into your driveway if there is a little bit of snow slime there. So not optimal for any snow slick conditions. So perhaps REALLY not optimal for your clime. A 3 season car in Alaska probably.

Not a very good choice here for sure, and the penetration so far as I have observed is not very good.  Cold weather battery performance also depends on how cold for how long it actually gets.  Typical winter temps in the lower 48 of 20-30F might give you -20%, but a month solid of sub-zero is another can of tuna entirely.  Heating the cabin while using the vehicle takes a shit load of the juice as well.  We also set a new snowfall record this year, so performance on slippery roads is a big factor.

"3 season" also gives false impression that it would be good 3/4 of the year, but winter conditions exist here in fall and spring as well.  Nov-Mar can all be ugly, so it's almost 1/2 the year it's not a great choice of vehicles.

I doubt they will ever make much sense up here, unless you can afford both types.

RE
#5
Past Peak / - It Is Difficult to Get a M...
Last post by K-Dog - Today at 10:36 AM
Quote from: RE on Feb 20, 2024, 11:58 PM
Quote from: K-Dog on Feb 20, 2024, 07:51 PMThere is no independent universe of ideas, and we have no free will.  Learning is the communication of experience but, without a human to learn there is no learning.

Without humans there are no ideas.

That is a very anthropocentric view of existence, that ideas cannot exist without people.  Actually, IMHO, people would not exist without ideas, they wouldn't become sapient.  Sapience is the ability to use your brain to discover the ideas and principles that govern the universe.  From your point of view the law of gravity doesn't exist until humans arrive and figure out what it is.  But that idea, that it's directly proportional to the product of the masses and inversely proportional to their distance apart was true long before Newton came up with the idea.  It's been true since the Big Bang and the beginning of time.

RE

"Sapience is the ability to use your brain to discover the ideas and principles that govern the universe."

No, we do not discover, we create abstractions from sense perceptions.  After abstracting the idealist goes on to fool themself that their abstractions are ideas with an existence outside themself.  That is an error.


It is not anthropocentric,  it is the opposite.  The universe has an existence independent of people, but ideas don't exist if people don't.  Ideas are only abstractions made by the human brain.  They have no independent existence.  This is proved by simply noting ideas can be wrong.

When there are no humans left on the planet, there is nobody left to say people have become extinct.  There is nobody left to define what people were.


* This is not an 'abstract' discussion.  Believing in an independent universe of ideas or forms cultivates a conservative identity which will not respond to changing material conditions.  Capitulating to knowing the real world can't match their concept of an ideal universe, all sorts of compromises to the tyranny of existence are made by the idealist.  A materialists knows the only perfection is that what we bring to earth, what we make happen.  The materialist knows change is the only constant in the universe.  Ready for change a materialist responds to injustice.  An idealist tolerates the injustice of an imperfect world as they try to hammer reality into what they think it should be to match their universe of ideas.
#6
Past Peak / - It Is Difficult to Get a M...
Last post by RE - Today at 10:03 AM
Quote from: TDoS on Today at 09:37 AM
Quote from: K-Dog on Feb 20, 2024, 10:57 PM
Quote from: TDoS on Feb 20, 2024, 08:32 PMIt Is Difficult to Get a Man to Understand Something When His Salary Depends Upon His Not Understanding It.
When the man is a scientist who's salary requires and depends on him studying topics to the best of ability....how can his salary require him to NOT understand it?

In that case salary depends on not not understanding.  A negation is introduced but nothing is really changed because salary determines what is understood in both cases.
Wow, that one has some interesting logic.

But if I understand, then a scientist's salary, paying him or her to do the best work possible, delivers the best work possible. No misunderstanding of anything....just high quality, unbiased and objective results.

Sounds reasonable. Sounds like what science is supposed to be.

What the "best work" is depends on who is writing the paycheck and what they want the scientist to show.  So if the research is being funded by a Tobacco company and they want to show that smoking is safe, the best work comes from a scientist who does a study that demonstrates that.  The scientist working for a capitalist is a Hired Gun.  They hire the fastest gun money can buy.

RE
#7
Life on the Doomstead / - Solar Power, The Evolution...
Last post by TDoS - Today at 09:41 AM
Quote from: RE on Today at 01:59 AMNice one. :)  Good choice.
RE
For my area perhaps. Cold winters that reduce mile/kwh by -20%, but not that bad, but the traction control on electrics is awful. You get stuck pulling into your driveway if there is a little bit of snow slime there. So not optimal for any snow slick conditions. So perhaps REALLY not optimal for your clime. A 3 season car in Alaska probably.
#8
Past Peak / - It Is Difficult to Get a M...
Last post by TDoS - Today at 09:37 AM
Quote from: K-Dog on Feb 20, 2024, 10:57 PM
Quote from: TDoS on Feb 20, 2024, 08:32 PMIt Is Difficult to Get a Man to Understand Something When His Salary Depends Upon His Not Understanding It.
When the man is a scientist who's salary requires and depends on him studying topics to the best of ability....how can his salary require him to NOT understand it?

In that case salary depends on not not understanding.  A negation is introduced but nothing is really changed because salary determines what is understood in both cases.
Wow, that one has some interesting logic.

But if I understand, then a scientist's salary, paying him or her to do the best work possible, delivers the best work possible. No misunderstanding of anything....just high quality, unbiased and objective results.

Sounds reasonable. Sounds like what science is supposed to be.
#9
Life on the Doomstead / - Solar Power, The Evolution...
Last post by RE - Today at 01:59 AM
Quote from: TDoS on Feb 20, 2024, 08:17 PM$8k. Had 35k miles on it at purchase, was a lease. Meets all the criteria of being cheap, indestructible and more than enough range in a suburban environment. Total runnings costs to date have been a rear window wiper blade, windshield washing fluid, and a set of tires.

Keep your Tesla's you suckling at the altar of Elon sychophants! I'll take a glorified golf cart with A/C, airbags and free electrons at work!



Nice one. :)  Good choice.

RE
#10
Past Peak / - It Is Difficult to Get a M...
Last post by RE - Feb 20, 2024, 11:58 PM
Quote from: K-Dog on Feb 20, 2024, 07:51 PMThere is no independent universe of ideas, and we have no free will.  Learning is the communication of experience but, without a human to learn there is no learning.

Without humans there are no ideas.

That is a very anthropocentric view of existence, that ideas cannot exist without people.  Actually, IMHO, people would not exist without ideas, they wouldn't become sapient.  Sapience is the ability to use your brain to discover the ideas and principles that govern the universe.  From your point of view the law of gravity doesn't exist until humans arrive and figure out what it is.  But that idea, that it's directly proportional to the product of the masses and inversely proportional to their distance apart was true long before Newton came up with the idea.  It's been true since the Big Bang and the beginning of time.

RE