Integration of the Doomstead with Dogchat is under construction.

Main Menu

Energy Errata

Started by K-Dog, Mar 26, 2023, 11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Dog

Can you believe this crap?

When Sean Youra was 26 years old and working as an engineer, he started watching documentaries about climate change. Youra, who was struggling with depression and the loss of a family member, was horrified by what he learned about melting ice and rising extreme weather. He started spending hours on YouTube, watching videos made by fringe scientists who warned that the world was teetering on the edge of societal collapse — or even near-term human extinction. Youra started telling his friends and family that he was convinced that climate change couldn't be stopped, and humanity was doomed.

In short, he says, he became a climate "doomer."

"It all compounded and just led me down a very dark path," he said. "I became very detached and felt like giving up on everything."

That grim view of the planet's future is becoming more common. Influenced by a barrage of grim U.N. reports — such as the one published by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change earlier this week — and negative headlines, a group of people believe that the climate problem cannot, or will not, be solved in time to prevent all-out societal collapse. They are known, colloquially, as climate "doomers." And some scientists and experts worry that their defeatism — which could undermine efforts to take action — may be just as dangerous as climate denial.

Total nonsense:  This is on my webpage. 

I watch it every month.  I have for years now.  Concentration accelerates and never goes down.  Usually comparison to a year ago is more change, close to half a percent consistently.  Last month was an anomaly.  The lowest year to year change I have seen.  Comparison to a year ago is crucial because that trick cancels out seasonal variation.  A clear stair-step to doom is revealed.

Fuck Bezos.

Yes, you can say that here.

ed_from

As Gail points out we run out of profitable fossil fuels and then CO2 emissions stop.

FarmGirl

Quote from: ed_from on Apr 02, 2023, 08:35 PMAs Gail points out we run out of profitable fossil fuels and then CO2 emissions stop.

Do you have a link to the particular article, or which one of the many articles she has put on her blog? She has written far more after she and the other editors of TOD in declared peak oil in 2008 than before that time, and has changed her mind on occasion as well. 

ed_from

What impresses me most is how organized Gail is. I am not. When I come across a reference I will post it.

K-Dog

Gail Tverberg is an actuary and the editor of Our Finite World, a website that focuses on "how energy limits and the economy are really interconnected." In this episode, she discusses oil and coal's continued dominance of the global energy mix, why the world is "running out of affordable energy," why raising interest rates to tame inflation won't work, and why renewable energy's "true value is close to zero."