Figure out how to live in the worst-case. 
Or play Rambo in the woods, and max out your privilege. 

Your thoughts?

Main Menu

U.S. Depression Rates Reach New Highs

Started by RE, May 17, 2023, 09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RE

Are that many more people depressed, or is depression simply diagnosed more often?  Probably it's some combination of both of course.  People certainly have more good reasons to be depressed as time goes by and the civilization collapses around them.  Medicating them to alleviate the symptoms certainly won't remove the cause of their depression. "I lost my job, my house has been foreclosed on, my wife is divorcing me, my daughter was raped and can't get an abortion and my son was mowed down by an AR-15 at the Prom, but after 2 Xanax I feel GREAT!" does not improve the reality of the situation.  So should we really be concerned about growing numbers of depressed people, or about the growing prevalence of the causes of their depression?  IMHO, I think being depressed is a sign of good mental health nowadays.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/505745/depression-rates-reach-new-highs.aspx

U.S. Depression Rates Reach New Highs

RE

K-Dog

Can the poll be trusted or is it trendy to report being depressed?  People lie all the time, on polls they lie to themselves.  People lying on polls made it look like Trump would lose.

But I suspect this poll is accurate.  People have fewer choices when the economic belt gets pulled tight.  Few choices makes people frustrated, angry, and dissatisfied.  We like our 57 flavors.  Add water to such conditions and stir, and you have a nice dark cup of depression.