Figure out how to live in the worst-case. 
Or play Rambo in the woods, and max out your privilege. 

Your thoughts?

Main Menu

Education Endtimes Errata

Started by RE, Nov 03, 2023, 09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RE

Just a couple of days ago in response to K-Dog on why Americans know nothing about the ethnic composition  of Ukraine, I explained it's because they are as ignorant of history as math & science, but all they had to do was go to the library and read.  It's not a Secret.

The problem of course is that most Amerikans educated in the last 20-30 years CAN'T read, even the college educated ones.  This is not newz to long term Diners, since I have on many occasions written about the failure of Public Schools, going back to my own years teaching almost 30 years ago.  Bad as it was back then, based on this article it has clearly got even worse since.  I had to publish the link here since it reinforces what I just wrote.

The various reasons for this we have covered before as well, grade inflation, no child left behind, computers and screen time etc.  Like the reasons why people aren't having kids, it should be common sense but they are not meaningfully addressed.  It's a cultural problem teaching isn't valued, nor is education except for the elite.  They have their own private schools, so they really couldn't give a shit.  The only reason public education was ever funded at all was to serve as a warehouse for kids until they were old enough to work.

For a while in the post WWII period public schools worked OK, at leastt for smart kids and kids from white middle class neighborhoods where property values and taxes were high enough to pay the teachers a decent wage, though they still were better off going into corporate work.  IN the NYC schools where they tracked the smart kids and put them alll together for college prep into a couple of high schools, we got a 1st class education.  But that was 1% of all NYC HS students, and at Stuyvesant we were just about all white or chinese, there were only a handful of black kids or hispanics.  In fact I really can't remember ANY, I just say a handful because there must have been a couple.

There was the occasional inner city success story paraded out also.  Who didn't see "Stand & Deliver", the story of Jaime Escalante teaching Calculus to East LA chicanos?

Inspirational as this is, the number of times something like this was ever pulled off was vanishingly small in 1985, and I doubt you could pull it off today.  Hell, if you can teach algebra you're ahead of the curve, colleges now teach PRE-algebra in their math departments.

In NYC, the typical HS had a trade track, where you took shop classes in machine shop and carpentry, etc, and kids who were poor at math just had to learn something like "business math" and add up numbers on a balance sheet.  Calculators eliminated the need to know even that, and before long kids were graduating without even knowing elementary school math.

Today, Johnny can't read, can't write and can't add or subtract.  You think any of these folks understand how compound interest on a mortgage works?  How to balance their bank account and make a budget?  Gen Z is leaving HS now dumb as rocks.  So dn't count on them to be making very good choices about who their leaders are or fixing what is broken in our society.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2024/02/literacy-crisis-reading-comprehension-college.html

The Loss of Things I Took for Granted

RE

K-Dog

I can't remember how long it was ago.  I was in Vancouver with Marla (Mrs. Dog) and we saw Edward James Olmos walk across the street.  He was alone.  I turned to Marla and said "Is that who I think it is".

She said yes it is.

We have discussed education before and I was lucky to get a public education of unusual quality.

But we have also, and this applies to all Diner members, improved ourselves online.  Through the years here and elsewhere we have written comments and read extensively.  I am under the delusion that I can write halfway decently, and I know I was not as good as I am the first time I sat in front of a keyboard.

Not everyone has had the same interaction we have had.  I'll guess most people don't read a damn thing anymore since the local newspaper which kept the mass of people somewhat literate is gone.  Video replaced the cognitive brain.  Everyone is bedazzled. 

We bifurcated.  Split off and went our own way.

But why are there not more of us?  There are millions of people in America.  How can so much ignorance persist for so long?  With the wisdom of the ages at our fingertips, why does ignorance persist?  Why do TikTok videos hijack billions of brains.  Why in a city of millions, with all the problems the world has, is there no protest.  Not a whimper that things might be amiss.

M. King Hubbert did not have trouble finding like minded people (the book arrived).  Technocracy was once a thing.  Imagine the Diner with a staff of 100 people doing research and writing articles.  We would be a thing too!

QuoteThe technocrats made a believable case for a kind of technological utopia, but their asking price was too high. The idea of political democracy still represented a stronger ideal than technological elitism. In the end, critics believed that the socially desirable goals that technology made possible could be achieved without the sacrifice of existing institutions and values and without incurring the apocalypse that technocracy predicted.  (<-- incorrect assumptions of the new deal )

That was not from the book, I had to stop and google the technocracy movement.  The movement was M. Kings 'Diner'.  The FBI file on Hubbert must be as thick as a brick.  In wartime intellectuals are always a target.

QuoteOn October 7, 1940, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police arrested members of Technocracy Incorporated, charging them with belonging to an illegal organization. One of the arrested was Joshua Norman Haldeman, a Regina chiropractor, former director of Technocracy Incorporated, and the grandfather of * Elon Musk.

It was later determined that technocrats supported the war effort.

M. King and his fellow 'doomers' flew close to the sun.  Their wings melted.  Now their story is forgotten, but if he were alive M. King might be here with us in the Diner.  Perhaps asking why there are not more of us here.  Perhaps asking why has everything else gone hockey stick but smarts.  Could smarts not have at least grown proportional to population?  To the contrary, there is no increase, and smarts has declined in a mass homogenization.

As if the entire population is pasteurized.

It is disappointing the * old school of Peak Oilers which some of us have roots in, did not know more about M. King. Hubbert and his involvement with the Technocrats.  The new school (this is it) is aware of the technocrats and will be finding out more.

Will this be noticed.

I want my carbon dividends.

* Musk might know more about M. King than we do.

* Old school peak oil  was embarrassed by the deployment of tight oil technology.  Now with the Biden administration using the Hail Mary Pass of American Tight Oil to finance their personal war in Ukraine, that embarrassment may be reversed.  Time will tell.

monsta666

Not really convinced that better schools would have made that much difference to our collapse journey. From what I hear Denmark, Finland and Japan have the best schooling systems in the world. Do these countries have anyone talking about collapse and the insanity of growth-based economics? Not really. So, I see no reason why things would be all that different even if Americans could read and do math. What you really need is strong critical thinking and people not to adopt herd mentality.

That is the issue. Herd mentality. You can have the best minds in the world but if the prevailing thought says to believe in business as usual that is what people will do. People will only jump on collapse theories when the truth becomes undeniable and then they will lament that is so painfully obvious it was going to happen. However how many of these people are willing to stick their necks before the event and risk being labelled a moron? Not many I suspect.