Employment as a senior

Started by 18hammers, Feb 04, 2024, 06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Dog

I would not mind being out of work for a while.  My 'part time' job almost steals my time like I work full time.  It is not unusual to get six days in a row with five hour shifts being the longest. 

Employees don't get a lot of say about how scheduling goes.  There is always pressure from corporate to cut hours.  It adds to their bottom line and takes away from mine. 

Currently we have new people and the company is not getting as much bang for the employment buck as usual.  When the crew has experience, the company can cut our hours more easily.  Good work winds up being rewarded with less pay in a paradoxical way.

Tonight we had a beautiful orange sunset.  There was light at 9 PM.  It would be a good time to give up my proletarian undercover work for a while.  But.  I'm banking all of my 401K is nice to say. 

Many people as old as I am don't have a body that lets them work.  I'm lucky, if I don't take a job that kills me continuing to work seems to be good for my health.  It also lets me live a little better as you can see.

If I had more faith in my future, I'd stop for a while.  But if I work the longer it will be before I am poor.

* The gold Donald Trump initials in the black granite over the door behind me are hard to see.  The coffee was decent.

RE

Quote from: 18hammers on May 26, 2024, 09:51 PMThis week two more great motors came home with me, likely my last, notice given. I will be out of work.

Didn't figure that slave job would last too long.  Based on your description, I wouldn't have lasted a month.

My RT (CNA who watches me lift dumbells to keep from atrophying too fast) does Instacart shopping for Xtra money.  Her hubby who is a Mr Mom does it as his main job.  Low stress, make your own hours, quit whenever you want.  Probably only be a couple of bucks/hr less.

RE

TDoS

Quote from: K-Dog on May 26, 2024, 11:36 PMI would not mind being out of work for a while.  My 'part time' job almost steals my time like I work full time.  It is not unusual to get six days in a row with five hour shifts being the longest. 
You talk about your post-retirement job as though you aren't thrilled with it. So why did you give up your real one to go for a shittier deal?

The wife says I won't retire, because then people won't pay me to do what I would do for free anyway. Don't see much point in walking away even if I can no longer walk, gotta do something in retirement. No point in taking a 90% pay cut to be hassled by management drones of the world and for what? Just to keep busy? Not a chance. I'd hand out food at the homeless shelter for free just because it would be doing something useful, meet some folks, etc etc. Habitat for Humanity perhaps? More options available than I can count probably.

18hammers

My first day back since I emailed in my two week notice is tomorrow. I hope they just show me the door and don't make me work it out. The guys I worked with say they will save me some more motors as they swap them out. So I may have a few more trickle in for a while.
 The last one I got Friday lists out at 3700 dollars, but even wholesale cost is north of 1500. I just had to turn down the armature a touch, put in new bearings and I will stop by carbon brush supply this week and pick up four new ones. Total cost for me to rebuild it likely under a 100 bucks. I am going to miss getting these motors.

RE

Quote from: TDoS on May 27, 2024, 02:53 PM
Quote from: K-Dog on May 26, 2024, 11:36 PMI would not mind being out of work for a while.  My 'part time' job almost steals my time like I work full time.  It is not unusual to get six days in a row with five hour shifts being the longest. 
You talk about your post-retirement job as though you aren't thrilled with it. So why did you give up your real one to go for a shittier deal?

After Paul Allen died, his heirs did not have the same enthusiasm for Computer History and restoration of the old computers that Kdog was uniquely qualified to do.  They eliminated the position at the Museum.  Finding a cool job that was fun after it, not so EZ.

RE

RE

Quote from: 18hammers on May 28, 2024, 09:11 PMI am going to miss getting these motors.

What do you use them for?

RE

TDoS

Quote from: RE on May 29, 2024, 01:20 AM
Quote from: TDoS on May 27, 2024, 02:53 PM

After Paul Allen died, his heirs did not have the same enthusiasm for Computer History and restoration of the old computers that Kdog was uniquely qualified to do.  They eliminated the position at the Museum.  Finding a cool job that was fun after it, not so EZ.

RE

I thought k-Dog was an EE? That seems like far more innate capability than being a history buff or messing with old PCs.

18hammers

They let me leave, was shown the door as I expected. Much less stress now, just have to find another job.

RE

Quote from: TDoS on May 29, 2024, 03:16 PMI thought k-Dog was an EE? That seems like far more innate capability than being a history buff or messing with old PCs.

He is an EE.  One of the few around who still knows enough about older computers to be able to get them working again.  One of the ones he restored was an original Cray supercomputer as I recall from my tour of the museum.  They also had old IBM mainframes with the tape drives and an Apple IIe desktop with the floppy disk drives.  Old CRT displays, etc.  Just finding the parts to make them function was a challenge, then the old languages they run on aren't used anymore either.  Fun job for a tinkerer like Kdog.

RE

K-Dog

Quote from: RE on May 31, 2024, 12:30 PM
Quote from: TDoS on May 29, 2024, 03:16 PMI thought k-Dog was an EE? That seems like far more innate capability than being a history buff or messing with old PCs.

He is an EE.  One of the few around who still knows enough about older computers to be able to get them working again.  One of the ones he restored was an original Cray supercomputer as I recall from my tour of the museum.  They also had old IBM mainframes with the tape drives and an Apple IIe desktop with the floppy disk drives.  Old CRT displays, etc.  Just finding the parts to make them function was a challenge, then the old languages they run on aren't used anymore either.  Fun job for a tinkerer like Kdog.

RE

It gave me the background to reverse engineer DYNAMO into JavaScript.  Dynamo ran the Limits to growth Model on an IBM mainframe. 

Work is proceeding well.  There will be a website where graphs can be generated at the touch of a button from model equations.  The original program was 10,000 lines of IBM assembly code.  600 man hours of labor.  I hope my effort will not require the same investment.  But beyond the code I also have to become an expert dynamic modeler.  So when all is said and done, I'll have a chunk of time invested no matter how I cut the cheese.

Duplicating the standard run is the first goal.  A user will be able to press a button to copy the standard run equations to a clipboard and then they paste the equations into a file.

Then buttons in the dynamo simulator load and run the file to produce the graphs.

I won't be making the procedure any simpler.  Making users create the equation file could mean they will get an idea of what is going on.  Which is why I'll endure this pain.

RE

Quote from: K-Dog on May 31, 2024, 05:55 PMI won't be making the procedure any simpler.  Making users create the equation file could mean they will get an idea of what is going on.  Which is why I'll endure this pain.

I think you should add some parameters like be able to break down "resources" into some categories, substitute energy sources and break down Pollution to categories like CO2 emissions, groundwater contamination, microplastics etc.  Try to add detail to make it more realistic, and be able to incorporate new data like the falling fertility rate.

RE

K-Dog

Yes, but the first milestone will be getting it to run.

RE

Quote from: K-Dog on May 31, 2024, 06:26 PMYes, but the first milestone will be getting it to run.

You have my full confidence!  Don't forget to make an App to run on your Android phone!  Sell on Google Play for $1 and we can do top quality high production value vids complete with custom CGI special effects and hire a REALLY HOT spokesmodel!  I suggest Anya Taylor-Joy from the Furiosa Mad Max movie.  ;D

RE

18hammers

Well they deposited my last paycheck today. Part of this check goes to pay for two south bend lathes a guy is holding for me. Real nice lathes with all the tooling and spare parts. That will make it three south bend metal lathes I own. One in such good condition the factory stickers are on it. Got no place to put them but I will find somewhere. I am not going to belt drive then, likely just put on a variable freq drive.

RE

Instead of getting a job, why not start your own bizness?  Sounds like you have equipment for a good metal shop.  How about turning out replacement parts for old engines and farm equipment?  You could set up a website and do custom work making assemblies for hard to find out of stock old items.  Or maybe make wind generators with that new design I put up a while back?  Maybe you could license the patent and do it legally, or bootleg to other doomers on the QT?

https://26011849.fs1.hubspotusercontent-eu1.net/hubfs/26011849/Aeromine%20Website/downloads/Aeromine%20cut%20sheet%20231004.pdf

RE