Figure out how to live in the worst-case. 
Or play Rambo in the woods, and max out your privilege. 

Your thoughts?

Main Menu

The End of Restaurants as We Know Them?

Started by RE, Jul 11, 2024, 12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RE

Not a good time to go to culinary school.

Date night now means going to the Hot Food counter at Kroger and ordering Swedish Meatballs from the steamer tray.

https://www.aier.org/article/the-end-of-the-restaurant-as-we-know-it/

RE

K-Dog

Quote from: RE on Jul 11, 2024, 12:04 PMNot a good time to go to culinary school.

Date night now means going to the Hot Food counter at Kroger and ordering Swedish Meatballs from the steamer tray.

RE

Evidence for collapse.  An Alien sociologist of the far future will see it as a thermometer measuring the consequences of multiple breakdown points.  Social and economic strains with hot times ahead.

Even in a city of millions.  Good luck finding something open late.

RE

Back in NYC in my club hopping years after a night of hard partying making the rounds from Max's Kansas City to see Tom Petty ans CBGBs to see Patti Smith it was tradition to go to the Empire Diner at 4AM after the bars closed to have breakfast.  I wonder if they're still in bizness?

Answer:  Yes, but closes at 11PM. Probably even Truckstops don't do 24/7 food anymore.  Just microwaveables in the convenience store.

RE

K-Dog

Life is not the same without late night eats.  This is truly collapse!  That Sheri's that was next to the Renton hotel you stayed in closed.  I think the 5-Spot in Seattle is still open late........

Checking....... 

Nope it closes earlier than a church does now. 

The 13 Coins is still open 24 hours.  I hope the high yellow 3 AM experience still goes on.  I remember much beauty.

It is like everybody became a church puppy.

But we all know for sure that is not true.

No way is that true.

Nope.

It's collapse.

RE

Quote from: K-Dog on Jul 11, 2024, 11:55 PMLife is not the same without late night eats.  This is truly collapse!

I agree.  It's a Quality of Life issue.  A whole way of life where you could always find a 24 hour restaurant even if you worked crazy shifts or just had the munchies and a craving for some food is gone.  In NY, there were Delis and Pizzerias and Chinese takeout open all night.  It really was "the city that never sleeps".

It's like the disappearance of all the free content you used to get on the internet.  I could pick any newz story and Google 20 sources to read different spins and try to figure out the truth.  Now, about the only thing free is reading Headlines.

Once upon a time, there was Camelot.

RE

Surly1

Quote from: K-Dog on Jul 11, 2024, 01:41 PM
Quote from: RE on Jul 11, 2024, 12:04 PMNot a good time to go to culinary school.

RE

Evidence for collapse.  An Alien sociologist of the far future will see it as a thermometer measuring the consequences of multiple breakdown points.  Social and economic strains with hot times ahead.

Even in a city of millions.  Good luck finding something open late.

That was a good article. But as it makes clear, it is the end of restaurants as WE know them, meaning middlebrow restaurants. Rising food costs, declining foot traffic and shrinking margins make operations a loser. To say nothing of the fact that J6P is utterly and completely tapped out. For many the weekly "family dinner out" is unaffordable.
That said, high end dining always does well. The article says costs are up 22% since the pandemic. The wealthy don't care. Just bring me my Truffle risotto, foie gras and lobster bisque....

RE

Quote from: Surly1 on Jul 14, 2024, 10:40 AMThat said, high end dining always does well. The article says costs are up 22% since the pandemic. The wealthy don't care. Just bring me my Truffle risotto, foie gras and lobster bisque....

True also, and in cities like NY and Seattle with a large population of 1%ers, the 3 star Michelin eateries do fine.  Smaller less cosmopolitan cities have few if any of these restaurants to begin with, so the rich get left eating at the same restaurant all the time.  Even truffles get boring if you eat them all the time.

The other problem the high end restaurants have is with finding the service personnel.  They don't pay the bus boys and dishwashers enough to live on.  Even with tips the wait staff doesn't make enough in NYC, and you have waiters pulling down 6 figures.  The head chef makes big money, but even high end restaurants don't pay the Sous chefs the $200K it takes to live even out in Brooklyn commuting in to work.  So some of the better restaurants shut down too.  Smith & Wollenski's shut down after the 2008 crash.

Fortunately here in Anchorage, Moose's Tooth Pizzeria Brewerie my favorite is doing quite well and weathered CoVid with takeout.  :P  Prices still affordable too.

RE