Read RE's blog at Global Collapse 

Main Menu

Diner Forum News

Started by K-Dog, Sep 26, 2023, 01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RE

Dogchat has entirely diisappeared from the homepage, along with the hexagons header.

RE

K-Dog

It happened to me when I was working on the app yesterday.  If I introduce an error in code, Javascript will stop loading.  The hexagonal list and Dogchat use a lot of javascript.

If you do <ctrl><shift><delete> to clear your browsers cache Dogchat may appear.  I just checked things using a remote connection and things look ok.  TDoS made a 'Hello World' post since I made my last change.

You were on yesterday when I was churning the code.  I could see Alaska on the globe on top of Dogchat.  It makes sense why you might have a bad chunk of Javascript hanging around in your browser.  Caching complicates things.

Today I am back to work so there won't be Dogchat changes today.  Dogchat is for ephemeral use, so unlike posts here the content won't hang around  forever.  The point being, things are under construction so traffic jams can be expected. 

Features will be added and debugged.  If would be cool to have a Dogchat comment hang around for a while and then fade out after a week.

I won't be back on until after work tonight.  If you don't see Dogchat after you refresh the cache let me know.

Today I will be doing proletarian undercover work and unloading a truck .  About 1200 items (boxes).  I'll see how the working class is doing.

RE

Reporting now that Dogchat is working and the Login is now connected to the Diner SMF Login.  ;D

RE

K-Dog

Sorry to say I corrupted website files and had to roll back two days.  All posts in the last two days are gone. 

I almost had everything back and was about to merge the copy of the database I saved before I rolled back to a working version.  I did not do something right when I made that backup, and the file did not have content.

For two bucks a month I could have daily backups but that is 100 bucks after four years and for that we can all remember what we posted in the last week that the universe MUST KNOW ABOUT.  So we can republish the vital info.

I almost had everything back.  I am taking steps so I can offload content so if things are broken I can do a full restore.  If I only fuck up the software I can roll back pretty well now since it all gets sent up to the server anyways.  Content however must come out of the database.  A file transfer in the other direction. 

Which this time I totally hosed.

RE

Quote from: K-Dog on Dec 12, 2023, 12:10 AMFor two bucks a month I could have daily backups but that is 100 bucks after four years and for that we can all remember what we posted in the last week that the universe MUST KNOW ABOUT.  So we can republish the vital info.

Its been a slow couple of days, so I don't think there was anything written so important that the universe will come to an end if it isn't stored in digital bits on our server.

For myself, I always write anything longer than a paragraph in a text editor first, then copy it to the upload dialogue box.  I don't usually keep it after I get a successful upload, but now being aware of your constant need to fiddle with the code and propensity for fucking up when you do so, I shall keep all my longer posts in a file on my own computer.  :P

RE

K-Dog

Messing with the forum code is dangerous.  An error in a file or code dead end gives a white screen of death and internally files are juggled around and modified whenever a mod is installed.  If that process gives an error it can be a hard knot to untie.  And that is what happened to lose the posts this time.  And I compounded the error by rewriting a file I forgot had settings for my home server but not the for the server on the live website.  Oh fuck!

I was in the process of rebuilding everything when settings in the database caused naming issues because it said the doomstead theme was there when I had not yet installed it.  When I tried to install it the software went to the white screen of death.

It is actually a credit to my propensity for not fucking up that makes it possible for this place to grow into something new at all.  But I can't do it in an impulsive mood that lets me get ahead of where I can't back up.

RE

Quote from: K-Dog on Dec 13, 2023, 12:53 PMIt is actually a credit to my propensity for not fucking up that makes it possible for this place to grow into something new at all.  But I can't do it in an impulsive mood that lets me get ahead of where I can't back up.

Well, I used the SMF package on the original Diner for a decade and never got the white screen of death or lost any posts either.  Reason:  I know enough to know I don't know enough to fuck around with it.  You on the other hand know just enough to fuck around with it until something breaks.  Now, in the end this process may yield a more functional and cooler enhanced version of SMF, and you get a lot of enjoyment out of tinkering around with code.  That's why you worked in the field.  Now that your job doesn't challenge your code jockey g-spot, you mess around with it here.  That's fine, but it has the downside we get these periodic White Screen of Death episodes.  Hopefully they don't get worse. lol.

RE

K-Dog

Quote from: RE on Oct 10, 2023, 10:24 PMIt would be nice if we could get hold of the original Diner DB.  I'm pretty sure my Host (A Small Orange) has a copy.  Probably just have to pay a small fee to download it.  Do you think you could hook it up here?

RE

If you get a download of the database I can hook it up.  Last weeks white screen experience made me learn what the minimum tables to restore messages are.  Now I would be able to restore the couple of posts we lost if I had them.

RE - A beta version of a paged recent posts plugin you want is now active at the bottom of the home page.  I don't know why it was never done this way in the first place.  I am going to improve the buttons before I submit it as a mod to SMF.

RE

Quote from: K-Dog on Dec 18, 2023, 03:32 PM
Quote from: RE on Oct 10, 2023, 10:24 PMIt would be nice if we could get hold of the original Diner DB.  I'm pretty sure my Host (A Small Orange) has a copy.  Probably just have to pay a small fee to download it.  Do you think you could hook it up here?

RE

If you get a download of the database I can hook it up.  Last weeks white screen experience made me learn what the minimum tables to restore messages are.  Now I would be able to restore the couple of posts we lost if I had them.

RE - A beta version of a paged recent posts plugin you want is now active at the bottom of the home page.  I don't know why it was never done this way in the first place.  I am going to improve the buttons before I submit it as a mod to SMF.

The Beta version of the chronological post list is great!

Improvements would be to number the pages and to return to the first page.  Also, a dialogue box/calendar widget to choose a start date.

RE

K-Dog

Reload the page and it will reset to the most recent post. 

monsta666

I sent out a K-woof the other day but got nothing back. Perhaps I was barking up the wrong tree.

K-Dog

Quote from: monsta666 on Feb 10, 2024, 03:17 PMI sent out a K-woof the other day but got nothing back. Perhaps I was barking up the wrong tree.

You should get an alert from me for using dogchat to send a personal message.  If you leave a message in the forum chat there is no alert and I only saw your woof an hour ago.  Since I have been the only one leaving messages in the chatbox I have not checked it every time I log on.

I need to put something up that indicates a forum comment has been made in the scroll.  It can fade out after a day.  A simple indicator button for me to watch.