Seattle’s Living Computers Museum logs off for good as Paul Allen estate will au

Started by RE, Jun 27, 2024, 02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RE

Newz of major significance from K-dog's past.  This was his last big job in the tech industry, restoring old computers at Paul Allen's museum.  Paul's heirs are not as dedicated to keeping the history of computers alive with old Apple IIe's and IBM mainframes with tape drives.

Gonna go to the auction Dog?  Might be a good place to Network and maybe get a new job with some enthusiast.

https://www.geekwire.com/2024/seattles-living-computers-museum-logs-off-for-good-as-paul-allen-estate-will-auction-vintage-items/

RE

K-Dog

If the auction is open to the public yeah.  But the goal is to sell the junk, not host a social event.

I'll be honest.  This is not really a loss.  The day Paul died the museum became all about how much the old hardware was worth and not much else. 

I always thought the place should be more a center for education.  I wanted the place  to host computer clubs at night and be community oriented.  My suggestions went nowhere.  Others were all about the collection, which to me is nothing but snooty nonsense.  Paul was aware of my technical strengths, so I did not have to kiss it the way other people who wanted to keep their bean feed going did.  Paying attention to (only the collection) was the lowest common denominator for the Machiavellians.  A way to impress Paul risk free without having to worry if he would support your other ideas.  The ultimate in kissing it.

When Paul was gone, 'the collectors' made short work of me.  Most of my last year after Paul died was spent trying to figure out how to leave the place without being unemployed and broke.  My exit was hard to engineer, but I did it.  Unfortunately my success happened  exactly when COVID came along, leaving me at square one without other prospects.

Computing was once a hackers delight.  But how much of that old spirit was destroyed by Microsoft?  Microsoft exists because the U.S. government wants to control software and maintain a technical imperialism.  The IRS would not be happy with two dozen kinds of computers.

I wanted to bring computing to the people.  Not just worship what is.  Bring power to the people, as evidenced by my current project.

Limits to Growth Dynamo Software.

Which is a Diner exclusive.  Donated by me without compensation for the few hundred hours it will take from the start to the finish of this puppy.  At the end people will be able to 'do dynamics' on their own.

Hover over the upload icon on the far left.  Click the default.  Tool-tips will explain what happens. Click the buttons in sequence and you see the card deck evaluated.  You are looking at proof of concept.

As for networking.  Being a world authority on the Apple I computer, which I am, ain't worth much.  The experience at the museum made me familiar with the art of electronics from glass tubes up to the modern day.  Usually engineers are only familiar with the state of the art at the time they were educated which even for my ancient ass was far past the age of tubes.  The museum let me learn about electronics as it was from the beginning of the twentieth century.  Which along with about three bucks will buy you Starbucks a block from where the museum is.

My five years at the Museum got me my warehouse job in a heartbeat.  It was good experience.  I am a treasure trove of useless information.

RE

Quote from: K-Dog on Jun 27, 2024, 09:37 AMHover over the upload icon on the far left.  Click the default.  Tool-tips will explain what happens. Click the buttons in sequence and you see the card deck evaluated.  You are looking at proof of concept.

Not yet.  Clicking the default button opens up the Pictures folder on my hard drive.  Rest of the buttons do nothing.

RE

K-Dog

Ooops, You are right.  You do not have the default file on your own computer.  I'll have to fix the default file load.

It opened to a folder so you can load a card deck file:  this is the default file:

*      M478-248,DYN,TEST,1,1,0,0
RUN    2698JP
NOTE   MODEL OF RETAIL STORE
NOTE
1L     IAR.K=IAR.J+(DT)(SRR.JK-SSR.JK)                                 INVENTORY ACTUAL
1L     UOR.K=UOR.J+(DT)(RRR.JK-SSR.JK)                                 UNFILLED ORDERS
20A    NIR.K=IAR.K/DT                                                  NEGATIVE INVENTORY
20A    STR.K=UOR.K/DFR                                                 SHIPMENTS TRIED
54R    SSR.KL=MIN(STR.K,NIR.K)                                         SHIPMENTS SENT
40R    PSR.KL=RRR.JK+(1/DIR)(IDR.K-IAR.K)                              PURCHASE ORDERS SENT
12A    IDR.K=(AIR)(RSR.K)                                              INVENTORY DESIRED
3L     RSR.K=RSR.J+(DT)(1/DRR)(RRR                                     REQUISITIONS SMOOTHED
X1     .JK-RSR.J)
39R    SRR.KL=DELAY3(PSR.JK,DTR)                                       SHIPMENTS RECEIVED
NOTE
NOTE   INITIAL CONDITIONS
NOTE
12N    UOR=(DFR)(RRR)
6N     RSR=RRR
6N     IAR=IDR
NOTE
NOTE   INPUT
NOTE
7R     RRR.KL=RRI+RCR.K                                                REQUISITIONS RECEIVED
45A    RCR.K=STEP(STH,5)                                               REQUISITION CHANGE
NOTE
NOTE   CONSTANTS
NOTE
C      AIR=8 WKS                                                       CONSTANT FOR INVENTORY
C      DFR=1 WK                                                        DELAY IN FILLING ORDERS
C      DIR=4 WKS                                                       DLY REFILLING INVENTORY
C      DRR=8 WKS                                                       REQUISITION SMTHNG T C
C      DTR=2 WKS                                                       DELAY IN TRANSIT
C      RRI=1000 ITEMS/WK                                               REQ. RECEIVED INITIALLY
C      STH=100 ITEMS/WK                                                STEP HEIGHT
NOTE
PRINT  1)IAR(0.1),IDR(0.1)/2)UOR(0.1)/3)RRR(0.1),SSR(0.1)/4)PSR(0.1),SRR(0.1)
PRINT  1)IAR,IDR/2)UOR/3)RRR,SSR/4)PSR,SRR
PLOT   IAR=I,UOR=U(0,12000)/RRR=R,SSR=S,PSR=P,SRR=Q(1000,1200)
PLOT   RRR=R,SSR=S,PSR=P,SRR=Q(1000,1200)
PLOT   IAR=I,UOR=U/RRR=R,SSR=S,PSR=P,SRR=Q
SPEC   DT=0.1/LENGTH=50/PRTPER=20/PLTPER=10

If you cut and paste this you have the default file and can load it with the file picker.  The last thing you looked at with your file picker was your pictures folder.

RE

K-Dog

Quote from: RE on Jun 27, 2024, 02:09 PMI'll wait for the finished version.

RE

It was you.  HOVER over the load button and don't be so quick to click it.  You have to click on the Default label if you want the default file. 

If you just click it before default label appears the file has to be on your own computer and then you have to pick it.

Here you see I already clicked it once.  Now I could walk the mouse across the toolbar and the tool-tips tell you what happens in the display.  Not here of course that is only a picture on the left.

Hover in the embedded frame below.  Make sure each button is pressed in sequence from left to right.