It is not just Energy and it is not just Oil.  Human behavior is involved.
And stupidity will be dealt with accordingly.   

Main Menu

Tech will not save us. Tech to the contrary will seal our doom.

Started by K-Dog, Sep 16, 2023, 12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Dog

It is what it is.  Every communicative technology developed is tasked to surveil, maintain power, and stifle change.  A three step process is described.

Most of the time we are like ants under a magnifying glass, only being looked at.

But bad ants can find the sun is moved behind the magnifying glass.  And not like a big eye, it burns.

QuoteRemember when the pentagon talks about technological advances to be used on the so-called enemy, you better bet your ass that the state will be using it on the people back home and anyone they wish on this planet.

The three-part process.
1) Technologies advance.
2) Experiments in U.S, imperialist wars overseas refine technology creating systems which are deployed to surveil enemy populations.
3) Refined systems are then brought back and incorporated into the state apparatus to be used on anyone and everyone.

John of Wallan

The diner is still alive!
What, RE is still alive too?
Good to hear on both counts.

Speaking of tech not saving us:
I am an amateur target shooter and wannabe hunter. (Call me Bwana). Having trouble getting any reloading gear here in Oz, as we slide down the slippery e-commerce, Just In Time, computer tracked technology banister straight into the hardwood end post of "out of stock and dont know when its coming back" reality. Ah, fragile supply chains; the exposed underbelly of technology, just waiting for a visit from the fuck up fairy to sprinkle his fuck up dust all around. (Can you swear in this new version?)
End results: No large rifle primers for 3 years now. No fast powders for shotgun and pistols for 2 years. No percussion caps for the 577 Enfield. Cant get black powder due to shipping restrictions and all coming from overseas. Cant get projectiles for under $1 each..

A long time ago in probably 2 diner versions back I wrote about making black powder...
I now make my own very easily from stump remover, sulphur and home made willow charcoal. Yah!

I will do a detailed recipe for anyone interested. Its dead easy.

Also gots me a flintlock!
Cheap CVA 50 cal.
Works a treat and is an absolute hoot atthe range.
Now, how can I get a good supply of flints...

Next step will be back to bow and arrow.

JOW

Nearings Fault

Quote from: John of Wallan on Oct 04, 2023, 11:57 PMThe diner is still alive!
Good to hear on both counts.

Speaking of tech not saving us:
I am an amateur target shooter and wannabe hunter. (Call me Bwana). Having trouble getting any reloading gear here in Oz, as we slide down the slippery e-commerce, Just In Time, computer tracked technology banister straight into the hardwood end post of "out of stock and dont know when its coming back" reality. Ah, fragile supply chains; the exposed underbelly of technology, just waiting for a visit from the fuck up fairy to sprinkle his fuck up dust all around. (Can you swear in this new version?)
End results: No large rifle primers for 3 years now. No fast powders for shotgun and pistols for 2 years. No percussion caps for the 577 Enfield. Cant get black powder due to shipping restrictions and all coming from overseas. Cant get projectiles for under $1 each..

A long time ago in probably 2 diner versions back I wrote about making black powder...
I now make my own very easily from stump remover, sulphur and home made willow charcoal. Yah!

I will do a detailed recipe for anyone interested. Its dead easy.

Also gots me a flintlock!
Cheap CVA 50 cal.
Works a treat and is an absolute hoot atthe range.
Now, how can I get a good supply of flints...

Next step will be back to bow and arrow.

JOW

I've always wondered if you could modify a flintlock to accept a spark plug igniter. It would save a lot of the delay of the hammer and ignition. Parts would be easy. I don't shoot except occasionally recreationally. I usually exchange services for game and both parties do what they are good at. I would enjoy seeing some black power postings
Cheers,  NF

RE

Quote from: John of Wallan on Oct 04, 2023, 11:57 PMThe diner is still alive!

RE is out of the Blue and into the Black

The Diner is gone but its not forgotten.
This is the story of the Johnny Rotten.

It's better to Burn Out than to Fade Away.
Collapse is here to stay.

Hey Hey, My My.

RE

18hammers

I have friends that are into black powder/ flintlock shooting and hunting. I get to shoot their toys  when I visit. It is a lot of fun, they have it down to a art form watching them load and shoot. Amazingly accurate and you get used to the slower lock time. No shortage of powder here that I am aware of though prices are high. I don't shoot firearms that much any more but I do shoot a lot of air guns, you would be amazed at the development with that technology. I have a 70 meter air pistol range at one place on my property, Custom gongs and reactive targets. I just shoot to keep myself proficient and air gun shooting is way more affordable than Any other form. Could you tell me a bit about your firearms laws there? I am always interested in such things from other countries.

John of Wallan

Quote from: 18hammers on Oct 05, 2023, 09:19 PMCould you tell me a bit about your firearms laws there? I am always interested in such things from other countries.

They are quite strict when com[ared to merika, but easy to comply with.

1.Must be licensed.Several categories. Rimfire/ centre fire/ pistol/ Semi-auto/ tranquilizer guns/ collectors license etc..
2.Firearms made after 1901 or with comercially available amunition of must be registered.
3.Must store firearms and amunition securely.

I am licensed to own rimfire/shotguns and centre fire. (A and B) Covers muzle loaders and air rifles as well. When I retire I will plan to get a pistol license.

Firearms must be smaller than 1" caliber from memory. Biggest I have is 58cal Enfield. Seen a few 50 BMG and 55 Boys at the range over the years. Need collectors license for cannons 1" and bigger aparently.

You can own pretty well anything, you just need the correct license and store them correctly. My friend is the armourer for an RSL club. (Veterans club). He has a collectors license to cover pistols, rifles, artilery and machine guns in their collections. (Machine guns and artillery have to be de-activated I believe) Hand guns need a better safe and an alarm I believe, as do semi-auto firearms or large collections of centre fire rifles.

I have about a dozen firearms all up. Few each of air rifles, rimfire rifles, centre fire rifles, muzzle loaders and a few shotguns... Other than a pistol and maybe a lever gun, pretty well all I need. There was a nice 444 marlin I looked at some weeks back... Bit of an orphan.. Oh, also have an old antique martini cadet of obsolete caliber so no need to register.

We re-knew license every 5 years. Not a problem if you dont have a criminal record, a history of mental health issues or violence aprehension order against you.

Need to get a permit to purchase additional firearms and have a valid reason to own centre fire rifles. I am a target shooter. Thats a valid reason, as is hunting, primary producer or work as a security guard. Self defence is not a valid reason.

The licensing and registration are anoying but gun storage requirements I dont have an issue with. It means we dont have kids shooting themselves or other.. Also means firearms are usually safe in the hands of enthuiests not assholes. Usually...

It also mans when I get pulled up for speeding the cop is not trigger happy thinking I am reaching for a gun when I open my wallet to get my license. We just dont see handguns in public other than at the range or on the police officers belt. 40S&W now. Got rid of their old 38 revolvers some years back.

The laws are anoying but easy to comply with. I think they are designed that way.

RE

AI appears to be spawning its own blowback of New Luddites.  I will remain skeptical about this movement, given it is being promoted by the Technology columnist for the Los Angeles Times, an MSM propaganda organ of the 1st order, but nevertheless worth noting in this thread.  I certainly doubt this columnist would approve of the modern day Luddites breaking into factories and destroying computers and silicon wafer production, to complete the analogy with the 19th century originators who destroyed the industrial looms that displaced the skilled weavers.  A little bit of peaceful protest and intellectual debate is OK< destroying Private Property is another ball of wax entirely.

https://it.slashdot.org/story/23/10/08/208250/im-a-luddite---and-why-you-should-be-one-too

'I'm a Luddite - and Why You Should Be One Too'

RE

K-Dog

It occurs to me that A.I. will be like John Michael Greer duplicated 10,000 times.

This is not a good thing.
  The Greer algorithm like all algorithms falls short of meeting expectations.  Sometimes far short.  But no one formula fits all don't you know!

Popeye would say 'E sucks it in hin an e spews it out'.  Like the first of the five brothers from the Qing dynasty.

The first brother could swallow the sea.

And spit it out.  It is a talent.  Other brothers have other talents. 

Do you believe in magic?  Many people do.

I just read JMG, and he is pushing the belief that if we all imagine a future without collapse it won't happen.  But we have to try REALLY hard!  Precise and vivid about it.  No dicking around.

You win a magical struggle by formulating an ideal as strongly, precisely, and vividly as possible, while completely ignoring the other guy.

The age of reason ends and the age of bullshit begins.

No doubt if collapse happens it will be for lack of Ju Ju.