Read the newsletter The Collapse Chronicle 

Main Menu

Burning Man

Started by K-Dog, Sep 01, 2023, 03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nearings Fault

I don't know if that is logic. So by extending that worldview spraying defoliant on South American coca plantations is a good way to get Americans to stop snorting cocaine. To me fighting consumerism by targeting only producers of consumption items will never work. People need to grow and turn off the over consumption in houses, food, vehicles, electronics, travel and so on. You want the market to produce good durable goods? Then buy a long durable good once or twice in a lifetime not cheap ones yearly. Buy a phone that you can change the battery in, change the hard drive in that computer even if financially it makes no sense. Cook at home, pay more for food you buy from people with faces, avoid chain restaurants, travel for 2 months once a decade not quarterly for long weekends... It's where I prefer to spend my energy.

RE

#1
First in reply to K-Dog:

Their request are very reasonable, and I can't see why they wouldn't implement them.  I doubt that many of the attandees fly in Private Jets, but they can say they will kick them out if they find out they are using one as soon as the Annual COP Climate Conference bans them.  They can argue that some propane generators are necessary, just as some conference hotel HVAC is necessary in Phoenix.  They can set a limit of say 1 5gal tank of propane per festival attendee.

To NG:

Spraying defoliant would be a good way to reduce cocaine usage.  It would drive the cost up into the stratosphere.  Not very environmentally friendly though.  They also don't really want to do that, because the drug trade is very profitable, and so is the "war on drugs" for the arms manufacturers.

Are there any phones left you can change the battery on?  My Galaxy Megas which I had for an astounding 6 years of use did, but none of the motorolas or samsungs I have purchased since have ones you can change yourself.  I know no Apples have replaceable batteries.

People generally do buy more durable goods, if they can afford them and it makes financial sense.  People who can afford them buy Volvos and Mercedes because they last longer in general than GM & Ford.  Far as paying more for food goes, local grown organic Alaska eggs are triple the price of WA state eggs, already pretty pricy.  If your food budget is tight, that is a Bridge Too Far.  This is something only upper middle class people can suggest as a solution to our problems.

Personally, I no longer own any carz, I use my own super economical EV Cripple Scooter and Public Transportation.  My typical apartment size is 600 sq feet, currently I live in a room about half that size until I get called off one of the waiting lists I am on for affordable housing for cripples.  I don't personally need to eat much because I don't burn a lot of calories building 1500 sq ft McMansions for people or putting up solar installations and I almost never eat out.  I went to a Chinese restaurant once last year and ordered a large WonTon soup. 2/3rds of which I brought home.  This year I went once to a Jap restaurant and ordered a Sashimi Bento Box.  My computers are all at least 3 years old, the oldest about 7 now I think, my only still functional Windows XP All-in-One Dell.  I have by far I am sure the lowest energy footprint of anyone in this group, and if everyone followed my example in the FSoA, our total energy consumption would rival that of Africa.  However, my leading by example is not doing a whole heck of a lot of good, even here.  I don't think leading by example is working as a solution.

On the other hand, I think blockading the Port of Long Beach or better yet Torpedoing some container ships would make a BIG difference. lol.



RE

Nearings Fault

I am of course not taking aim at you personally. Our current house works out to about 550 sq ft per occupant. It does have an attached garage not in those figures and about 300 sq ft of unfinished basement. It was built to far outlast us and to be divided into a second dwelling when the beasts break free of the nest. I expect we will either become evil landlords or move on to something smaller when the time comes. That in itself is another source of grief. People not knowing when to downsize.Food is an interesting one.Have you ever thought that that WA egg should cost the same as the Alaska egg? If you want to take aim at something aim at artificially low food prices making it impossible to compete locally. So those are some of my battle grounds. I don't like the idea that only middle class people can afford to think long term that is dismissive. I believe that long term thinking starting early on small things leads to greater savings over a life time.

K-Dog

#3
QuoteOn the other hand, I think blockading the Port of Long Beach or better yet Torpedoing some container ships would make a BIG difference. lol.

* Or it could just piss people off and get you killed when the FEDs smoke your ass.  Protesting Burning Man is a lot safer.  I doubt the protesters expected NAZI tribal police. 

The pickup that smashed through the barricade was paid for by PREVIOUS Burning Men.

Yes PREVIOUS Burning Men paid for the battering ram, and you read it here first. Nobody else has figured it out?

QuoteNixon is a census-designated place (CDP) in Washoe County, Nevada, USA.[2] The population was 374 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Reno–Sparks Metropolitan Statistical Area. It is the seat of tribal government of the Paiute Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation and home to the tribe's Museum and Visitor Center.

To get to Burning man through Reno you go through Nixon.  Burning man is bank for the tribe.  Corruption of Native American tribes is a skill white Americans are very accomplished at, so do the math.  The tribe may even vote Trump for all we know.



* Not the way to start a revolution.  A new cultural hegemony must be forged before such an event can trigger lasting change.  A vanguard must have popular support or qualitative change can't endure.

RE

Quote from: K-Dog on Sep 06, 2023, 03:50 PM* Or it could just piss people off and get you killed when the FEDs smoke your ass.  Protesting Burning Man is a lot safer.  I doubt the protesters expected NAZI tribal police.

Safer, definitely, but safe doesn't start Revolutions.

Quote* Not the way to start a revolution.  A new cultural hegemony must be forged before such an event can trigger lasting change.  A vanguard must have popular support or qualitative change can't endure.

You're not gonna forge a new cultural hegemony requesting Burning Man attendees fly in by commercial jets either.  Sinking a container ship on the other hand is a revolutionary act.

If everybody would just be nice and live small like me we wouldn't need a revolution.  Unfortunately, most people will not willingly live as small as I do.  In fact *I* would not willingly live this small.  I only do so because I am an impoverished cripple. lol

RE

K-Dog

#5
QuoteSinking a container ship on the other hand is a revolutionary act.

At the store, when the district manager is around, shoplifters are called code 99s.  When the district manager is gone, shoplifters are called roaches. 

I'll likely be fired if I stop a roach from taking something.  The policy is to let thieves take as much as they can carry.  The loss (shrink) is considered the cost of doing business.  Stopping shoplifters are a liability nightmare and no big box wants the multi million lawsuit when some asshole breaks a bone or kills a shoplifter who has not properly left the store and is not even guilty of a crime yet.

A few sinkings a year will be the cost of doing business, but there will be consequences for perpetrators.


BATTLE BETWEEN POLICE AND MEMBERS OF SYMBIONESE LIBERATION ARMY

This is the way America rolls.  The nail that stands up is pounded down.  And this is called democracy don'tcha know.