Read the newsletter The Collapse Chronicle 

Main Menu

Smooth talking motherfucker

Started by K-Dog, Jan 26, 2026, 11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RE

That's not the problem with Peak Oil.  The problem is that it's a finite resource essential to the operation of industrial civilization there currently is no good replacement for and we are running short of it.

Currently, the only "solution" is to take countries like Cuba and cutting off their supply and sending them back to the Stone Age, thus resulting in a rapidly dwindling number of living Cubans and an increasing number of dead ones.  The solution  is not too popular with Cubans, nor is it popular with Ukrainians. Palestinians, Somalians, Venezuelans and numerous other countries currently at war over this finite resource.

RE

K-Dog

#16
QuoteThat's not the problem with Peak Oil.  The problem is that it's a finite resource essential to the operation of industrial civilization there currently is no good replacement for and we are running short of it.

Concern about the actual peak is like looking at a tree and not seeing the forest.

You can add Americans who have no medical care to your list of unfortunates.

Ukrainians. Palestinians, Somalians, Venezuelans and Joe Six Pack.

NEWREPUBLIC.COM • 2026-02-05

Trump Just Gave Us the Worst January Since the Great Recession

Layoffs have surged to a nearly 20-year high, as job openings plummet.

TDoS

Quote from: RE on Feb 10, 2026, 06:29 PMThat's not the problem with Peak Oil.  The problem is that it's a finite resource essential to the operation of industrial civilization there currently is no good replacement for and we are running short of it.

Of course. The same as every other important non-renewable resource. But for some reason folks got their knickers in a twist over this particular one, and made it popular. And then fled like scalded cats when it turns out they didn't know even the most basic things about a single non-renewable resource.

I viewed it as a technical challenge that fit my skill set, as I already knew folks were getting it wrong 20 years ago, if not more, and took a crack at it.

I'm not a doomer, a class of folks that put the same level of thought into peak oil as they did Planet X and the Mayan calendar. I didn't feel like becoming an astronomist or learning ancient Mayan language to figure out if those were ridiculous as well, so I took advantage of the skillset I had.

Turns out it works well with other econometric models.

Quote from: RECurrently, the only "solution" is to take countries like Cuba and cutting off their supply and sending them back to the Stone Age, thus resulting in a rapidly dwindling number of living Cubans and an increasing number of dead ones.  The solution  is not too popular with Cubans, nor is it popular with Ukrainians. Palestinians, Somalians, Venezuelans and numerous other countries currently at war over this finite resource.

RE

Well, I'm not sure what problem you are solving by sending any country back to the stone age via lack of oil, but I would point out that a nice young lady wrote a peak oil book about how Cuba survived peak oil already. So I had my solution for the world, and she trumpeted how Cuba solved that problem decades ago.

How Cuba Survived Peak Oil. Circa 2006

TDoS

Quote from: K-Dog on Feb 10, 2026, 06:46 PM
QuoteThat's not the problem with Peak Oil.  The problem is that it's a finite resource essential to the operation of industrial civilization there currently is no good replacement for and we are running short of it.

Concern about the actual peak is like looking at a tree and not seeing the forest.

Apt metaphor from a doomer perspective. But I'm not a doomer. And after we survived the Great DieOff proclaimed by the doomers during Earth Day 1970 (allegedly sometime by the 1980's) I figured you had to take their predictions with a grain of salt. As any thinking person might.

Quote from: K-DogLayoffs have surged to a nearly 20-year high, as job openings plummet.

Well, it has been awhile since we've had a hard recession. The Great Recession of 2008 was deeply involved in peak oil doom, folks who didn't know how to calculate peak oil randomly assigning it causality with any current event they could find.

The good news is that we aren't anywhere near RE's definition of collapse even with layoffs surging. A 20 year high puts it worse then Covid though doesn't it? Which was according to some the Biggest Recession Since the Great Depression. So we could be in for interesting times.

If it craters the market like the 2008 recession, I'll be dumping in available coinage just like I did back then.

RE

Quote from: TDoS on Feb 10, 2026, 07:02 PMWell, I'm not sure what problem you are solving by sending any country back to the stone age via lack of oil

Oil not burned by Cubans available for Happy Motoring Amerikans.

Not sure what problem you are solving either.    Feel free to pat yourself on the back for whatever it is you think you did though.

RE

TDoS

Quote from: RE on Feb 10, 2026, 09:28 PM
Quote from: TDoS on Feb 10, 2026, 07:02 PMWell, I'm not sure what problem you are solving by sending any country back to the stone age via lack of oil

Oil not burned by Cubans available for Happy Motoring Amerikans.

Not sure what problem you are solving either.    Feel free to pat yourself on the back for whatever it is you think you did though.

RE

I know what I did. I don't "think" I know what I did.

RE

Quote from: TDoS on Feb 11, 2026, 04:39 AMI know what I did. I don't "think" I know what I did.

Well, I Googled "Who solved the Peak Oil problem" and top of the results and the closest I came to an answer was The Clean-Energy Equation No One Can Solve Yet, so your solution hasn't been pinged yet by their search bots.  Nobody on Reddit seemed to have heard of it either.  You seem to be a Legend in your own Mind.

RE

K-Dog

#22
MOTHERJONES.COM • 2026-02-11

Pam Bondi Refuses to Apologize to Epstein Survivors

Officials failed to redact their names—and did little to address the harm.


IRISHTIMES.COM • 2026-02-11

'This screams cover-up': Pam Bondi faces fury over handling of Epstein files

Key committee hears US attorney general accused of 'incompetence' and 'jaded cruelty' over abuse survivors.

TDoS

Quote from: RE on Feb 11, 2026, 09:43 AMYou seem to be a Legend in your own Mind.

RE

You appear to have presumed it was built for public consumption. What a quaint idea. As far as being a legend...the folks that asked me to tackle this project never asked Colin or Jean to tackle the problem, or Ugo, or Gail, or Art, or Nate or Simone or anyone you've ever interviewed.

I was sitting there with a nice lady from the Sloan Foundation after a conference in DC, neither of us were speaking, just participating on panels and whatnot. She speaks 3 languages, has 2 PhDs, a native Russian who had migrated west during her career. She was waiting for a flight and I was waiting for a ride, so we were just hanging out. 

We had bumped into each other before, she had seen my presentations at various conferences during the early shale years, I had asked her to review my publications as a technical reviewer on at least 3 occasions, etc etc.


She had bumped into me at other national conferences and was intrigued by the various topics I had presented  and published on, particularly the heavy tilt towards practical applications. I was telling idle jokes based on my online experience among peakers, she was familiar with the type and we had a giggle fest with what we had learned about them. She had a project that needed done and the money to make it happen.

....NAH....I was probably just chosen out of the phone book at random....  😀😀



K-Dog

#24


Quote....NAH....I was probably just chosen out of the phone book at random....  😀😀

Did she make America great again 🍑🍆   ?

RE

#25
Yes, of course.  Your world shattering "solution" to one of the most vexing problems facing humanity remains hidden on some TOP SECRET, air-gapped computer 40 floors below ground in a safe with 3 meter thick depleted uranium walls available only to a select few corporate executives protected from search engine spiders.

If there REALLY was a solution to Peak Oil, it would be published in a major peer reviewed journal and picked up afterward by Scientific American for popular reading.  It would be subject to at least SOME discussion and review on the Peak Oil discussion forums.

When some anonymous Troll on a nearly invisible website claims he solved Peak Oil, why on earth would anyone believe him? 🙄

RE

TDoS

Quote from: K-Dog on Feb 11, 2026, 08:37 PMDid she make America great again 🍑🍆  ?

Nope. But when my model was integrated with others, it was interesting to learn and watch. Plus the gig paid well.

TDoS

Quote from: RE on Feb 12, 2026, 04:12 AMYes, of course.  Your world shattering "solution" to one of the most vexing problems facing humanity remains hidden on some TOP SECRET, air-gapped computer 40 floors below ground in a safe with 3 meter thick depleted uranium walls available only to a select few corporate executives protected from search engine spiders.

Nope. It went into action,and core components of it were used for years, I was occasionally asked to consult. I think the project was finally shut down a year or so ago. Ran on local servers, in Python, I've got a copy of my work leftover from the development days.

Talking to you about me made me go check my backups to see if I still have it. I could probably ask permission to publish, but peak oil happened like in 2018 and no one even talks about it anymore. Plus it work better with an integrated socio-economic engine, as opposed to just generating probability answers based on custom scenarios.

Quote from: REIf there REALLY was a solution to Peak Oil, it would be published in a major peer reviewed journal and picked up afterward by Scientific American for popular reading.

Been there. Done that. Not this work. I only wrote up a single result, it is in the public eye, but it wasn't oriented on peak oil at all. Once integrated within a larger ecoonomic context it was great for full socio-economic scenarios, regional or global, but no one gave a shit about the peak oil potential except me. I ran so many scenarios through the thing I can't even remember them all now.

Quote from: REIt would be subject to at least SOME discussion and review on the Peak Oil discussion forums.
Sure. This one. The others are dead except for peakoil.com

Quote from: REWhen some anonymous Troll on a nearly invisible website claims he solved Peak Oil, why on earth would anyone believe him? 🙄
RE

Facts don't require your belief. They just are. You are free to discount every word I say, as you always have. Previously when I mentioned Sun Tzu, you missed the point I was making entirely. I want you to just keep right on being comfortable with what you think you know. In your absolute certainty in yourself is my anonymity. 

RE

#28
Facts don't require belief, but they do need to be present.  There are no facts here, only your CLAIM that you solved Peak Oil.

The only thing I found on your link to PeakOil.com related to Peak Oil was a link to an article on OilPrice.com by David Messler titled Why the IEA is Wrong About Peak Oil Demand.  A pretty good review of the estimates from the IEA and OPEC and the continuing dependence on oil to maintain and grow GDP.  Sadly, it doesn't provide a solution to Peak Oil.

Feel free to keep pimping yourself and blowing your own horn, although when you make claims like you solved Peak Oil you need to be able to back it up or you'll spend some time in the cooler contemplating your personality deficiencies.

RE

K-Dog

#29
CONSCIOUSNESSOFSHEEP.CO.UK • 2026-01-20

What the right gets wrong

Instead of congratulating Trump, the CEOs of the oil corporations politely rejected the invitation to resume drilling in Venezuela.