Integration of the Doomstead with Dogchat is under construction.

Main Menu

Ok Doomer

Started by K-Dog, Oct 05, 2023, 11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Dog

I am getting sick of hearing about the five tech 'bros' who flew the dude in to talk about prepping. 

I hope there are a few cannibals left when the bros come out of the bunker.  If I am one of them I hope I have salt and pepper.  Years ago prepping did not taste as bad as it does now.  Doom was essentially, unknown so divorcing yourself from the ignorant herd and trying to stay alive was fine.  Now my opinion is different.  I understand it is my opinion, but prepping now seems to me like you are turning your back on everyone else.  If a community is prepping together, that is different.

The people in this video are consumers of doom.  Not much understanding of why doom has become a thing.

The vicious circle of late stage capitalism:  With new technology you solve the problems you created by using old technology, and you do it by doing things the same way you already did.

* Everybody here is participating.  That is not the same thing as scrolling.

RE

Quote from: UnhingedBecauseLucid on Feb 18, 2024, 03:38 AMP.S.
As I recall, RE had a run-in with some Reddit r/Collapse moderators , perhaps not this one, but I'm sure it'll stir up some fond memories ...  ;)

It probably would, if I watched the video, but I'm not a surfer of Doomer websites and videos anymore.  I still follow the newz on my own and make my own analysis, but I'm not much interested in what others are doing in response to it.  Definitely not interested in Reddit r/collpse, which was loaded with its own set of self appointed arbiters of truth in doom and quite heavy handed with the censorship and ban buttons.

Quote from: K-DogYears ago prepping did not taste as bad as it does now.  Doom was essentially, unknown so divorcing yourself from the ignorant herd and trying to stay alive was fine.  Now my opinion is different.  I understand it is my opinion, but prepping now seems to me like you are turning your back on everyone else.  If a community is prepping together, that is different.

I'm no longer a prepper myself since at this point I barely have an existence worth living, and once things fall apart mine is a wasted mouth to feed.  Better I am carved up for dinner by the care givers here while there is still meat on my bones.  I desire nothing more these days than a quick and painless death, scraping to stay alive holds no appeal for me.  Survivalism is for the young and healthy, not the old and crippled.

However, I see nothing wrong with younger and healthier people prepping up individually.  On course there are inequities there, since the richer you are, the more you can afford in the way of preps right up to a fortified bunker and private army.  These folks have an advantage going in, but it lasts only for as long as they can maintain the loyalty of those who surround them.  Right now that loyalty can be bought with money, in time only real leadership will buy loyalty.

Below that lofty stratosphere of tech barrons though, prppers who have stores of food in the basement are fine, they'll either share them or they'll be robbed, killed and eaten themselves.  Weapons are fine too, since they'll be needed for protection, but those will last only as long as the ammo does.  Ask the Ukrainians about that problem.

RE

UnhingedBecauseLucid

Oh jeezus ... I've not much interest in prepping... I've no progeny to care about. I'll probably just  prep enough to see the "elite" 's smile turn into various expressions of anguish, fear and perhaps, lastly, humility, as their system comes crashing down. I'll probably erect a monument to their stupidity to; but that's about it.  :P

My interest in collapse is mostly just a fascination of the ... anthropological  kind.
At this point, my sole interest is the progressive penetration of the new reality into the society's collective consciousness and the evolution of this progression.
"Man can do what he will but cannot will what he wills." ~A. Schopenhauer