Read the newsletter The Collapse Chronicle 

Main Menu

Conventional Oil 101

Started by K-Dog, Feb 13, 2024, 02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Dog

   
QuoteUnited State Produces More Oil Than Any Country. Ever.



More   

The Fall of Icarus

Together, they flew towards freedom, away from Crete. Icarus soon forgot his father's warnings and started flying higher and higher.  The wax wings started melting under the scorching sun. He fell into the sea and drowned.

Before the fall they never pumped More   


Ignoring resource depletion should be a criminal offense.  Why not?  Talking about it is. 

How much do you get paid TDOS?

TDoS

Quote from: RE on Apr 17, 2024, 10:30 PMI knew we could count on you to come in with the counter arguments and evidence on your return to active duty.
Would you reference a math text from 2 years ago that leads off with stating that as the author has proven 2+2=5 oreviously, then obviously 5+5=11?

I didn't need to make a counter argument. I simply presented the history 2 years after the article was written demonstrating that when Jeff Brown is involved, 2+2=5 is what folks have gotten in the past. At least twice now.







RE

Quote from: TDoS on Apr 18, 2024, 03:55 PMI simply presented the history 2 years after the article was written demonstrating that when Jeff Brown is involved, 2+2=5 is what folks have gotten in the past. At least twice now.

I didn't read anything about 2+2=5.  You'll need to drop the analogy and point out the actual math errors involved in his calculations if you want any credibility at all.

RE

TDoS

Quote from: K-Dog on Apr 18, 2024, 02:04 PMIgnoring resource depletion should be a criminal offense.  Why not?  Talking about it is.
I have been talking and writing about resource depletion professionally throughout a majority of this century. Never been charged for it yet.
Quote from: K-DogHow much do you get paid TDOS?
You were an EE and paid quite well, and RE has vouched for the value of your digs. 'Benz for you and the wife? Not bad.

I will offer that I am paid fairly for what I do. But never in my life owned a Benz, let alone two. So good for what your skills have brought you and yours, and I'm happy with what my skills provide for me and mine.

TDoS

Quote from: RE on Apr 18, 2024, 04:01 PM
Quote from: TDoS on Apr 18, 2024, 03:55 PMI simply presented the history 2 years after the article was written demonstrating that when Jeff Brown is involved, 2+2=5 is what folks have gotten in the past. At least twice now.

I didn't read anything about 2+2=5.
True. I converted Jeff's routine into an allegory....he says things...they were wrong....he says the same things again years later not having learned from his first time...and is wrong...again.


Quote from: REYou'll need to drop the analogy and point out the actual math errors involved in his calculations if you want any credibility at all.

I prefer allegory. This was his 2006 quote.

"As I said last year, I expect that by the end of 2006 we will be in the teeth of a ferocious net oil export crisis." Jeff Brown - April 5, 2006, 1:49PM.

I'm not sure he did much maths. And I certainly can't prove that the US suffered something ferocious in 2006 that didn't happen.


RE

Quote from: TDoS on Apr 18, 2024, 04:09 PMI have been talking and writing about resource depletion professionally throughout a majority of this century. Never been charged for it yet.

The century is only 24 years old.  You only need 13 years to have written for a majority of the century.  Most of us have achieved that milestone.  Not being charged with a crime doesn't mean you didn't commit one.  It can mean many things.  You weren't caught, it wasn't worth prosecuting, you paid off the DA, you live in a non-extradition country, you have diplomatic immunity, nobody cares...

RE

RE

Quote from: TDoS on Apr 18, 2024, 04:23 PM"As I said last year, I expect that by the end of 2006 we will be in the teeth of a ferocious net oil export crisis." Jeff Brown - April 5, 2006, 1:49PM.

Doesn't mean the analogy is accurate.  Just means his timeline is off.  2+2=5 is time independent, it's not one of the variables.

RE

K-Dog

#7
Quote from: RE on Apr 18, 2024, 04:54 PM
Quote from: TDoS on Apr 18, 2024, 04:23 PM"As I said last year, I expect that by the end of 2006 we will be in the teeth of a ferocious net oil export crisis." Jeff Brown - April 5, 2006, 1:49PM.

Doesn't mean the analogy is accurate.  Just means his timeline is off.  2+2=5 is time independent, it's not one of the variables.

RE

I'll throw my two cents in about Jeff Brown.  I sent him a message on Linked-In and have had no response.  We do not know anything about him or his work. Therefore I can make no conclusion about his character or if he is disreputable or not.

But TDOS knows all about him.

Quotethe author of which skips their due diligence and uses a disreputable source who once tried selling the same idea for US disaster in 2006? Jeff Brown being that reference obviously.

But if we had access to the files TDOS has, then we would know all about him too.  TDOS probably knows more than I do about my own asshole.  Did you ever hear about Jeff Brown or is just me that never has?

RE

Quote from: K-Dog on Apr 18, 2024, 10:55 PMYou could own a couple of used Benzi if you wanted to.

MIB buy Amerikan.  Black Cadillac Escalade.



RE

RE

Quote from: K-Dog on Apr 18, 2024, 11:24 PMHe probably know more than I do about my asshole too.

He definitely knows more about what I have written than I do.  He's got posts I made on Reddit 6 years ago catalogued, and from Peak Oil 15 years ago.  He's my personal Historian.  ;D

RE

K-Dog

Quote from: RE on Apr 18, 2024, 11:31 PM
Quote from: K-Dog on Apr 18, 2024, 10:55 PMYou could own a couple of used Benzi if you wanted to.

MIB buy Amerikan.  Black Cadillac Escalade.



RE

Yes, that would be more like it.

TDoS

Quote from: RE on Apr 18, 2024, 04:50 PM
Quote from: TDoS on Apr 18, 2024, 04:09 PMI have been talking and writing about resource depletion professionally throughout a majority of this century. Never been charged for it yet.
The century is only 24 years old.  You only need 13 years to have written for a majority of the century.
RE
Well, in your refinement of the basics of time, I would say I have been involved in resource depletion issues in two centuries now, a little in the last, and all of the current. But DAMN does that make me feel old. And vastly more experienced than I ever imagined! MAN!!! I've got about all the peak oilers of the early 21st century whupped! When did the alt.forums fire up, maybe I've got them whupped too! I read ROE but wasn't much interested in the new fangled interwebs at the time.

TDoS

Quote from: K-Dog on Apr 18, 2024, 11:24 PMI'll throw my two cents in about Jeff Brown.  I sent him a message on Linked-In and have had no response.  We do not know anything about him or his work. Therefore I can make no conclusion about his character or if he is disreputable or not.
He was quite prolific for awhile, with the ELM. I have often wondered, as I've watched folks involved in the peak oil world back away from it, Heinberg as another example. I watched an hour long video he made for PCI recently, and he didn't mention anything about his old world ending via peak oil scenario. It seems to be all systems analysis and biodiversity and US debt, the usual.

Jeffrey was a consulting geologist way back when, which gave him peak oil cred in the moment. I am not familiar with his charcter either, he didn't seem as attention or camera happy as Art.

Based on his work, my operating assumption is that he is just a geologist that strayed from creating strat columns and being paid to sit the logging truck as a consultant or contractor and liked the online attention he was able to generate.

Quote from: K-DogBut TDOS knows all about him.
Familiar with his work is a better description. Go here http://theoildrum.com/special/archives and search his username for as long as you'd like. Those government folks must be pretty silly, allowing all of that to still exist, fine experts discussing the 2008 peak oil in a solemn and serious tone. I haven't heard any of those folks being arrested either for discussing resource depletion.

Quote from: K-DogBut if we had access to the files TDOS has, then we would know all about him too.  TDOS probably knows more than I do about my own asshole.  Did you ever hear about Jeff Brown or is just me that never has?

I just gave you the place that holds the reference I provided. Learn all you'd like about Jeffrey. TDoS can read a speech as well as anyone, with tone and inflection, varying the pace in soaring oratory that is quite inspiring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=totOKO8P3Dg



TDoS

Quote from: RE on Apr 18, 2024, 11:36 PM
Quote from: K-Dog on Apr 18, 2024, 11:24 PMHe probably know more than I do about my asshole too.

He definitely knows more about what I have written than I do.  He's got posts I made on Reddit 6 years ago catalogued, and from Peak Oil 15 years ago.  He's my personal Historian.  ;D

RE

Incorrect. I've never explained my interest in certain long term peak oilers and related personalities, have I? I don't talk about it much, if only because peak oil hasn't become a thing again yet.

So no, I'm not your personal historian. But it was nice meeting you in person. And I've met others in person, under differing circumstances.

RE

Quote from: TDoS on Apr 19, 2024, 03:09 PMBut it was nice meeting you in person.

I've never met you, since you didn't introduce yourself.  I met an anonymous person among many I spoke to at an outdoor festival where we had an information booth.

RE