Integration of the Doomstead with Dogchat is under construction.

Main Menu

Power goes out on entire island of Cuba, leaving 10 million people without electrici

Started by RE, Oct 19, 2024, 12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RE

Puerto Rico rejoining Cuba as the canaries in the coal mine of power outage in the western hemisphere.  I'll bet the countries along the old Soviet Union border with the west probably have similar percentages in terms of hours of grid power available.

We're definitely seeing the beginning of systemic blackouts and de facto rationing of energy as the poorer, marginal countries on the periphery of industrial civilization are triaged off the grid for political or economic reasons, or have the misfortune of being in the way of a climate or geologic disaster.  Include also locations losing power courtesy of ongoing missile strikes and war related terrorism.

Of course as these places lose access to power, it's GOOD NEWZ for the places still wired up, since it will make their energy cheaper from demand destruction.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/12/31/us/puerto-rico-power-outage/index.html

RE

K-Dog


PROGRESSIVE.INTERNATIONAL 2026-03-18

Defend Cuba From US Efforts to Crush It

The U.S. government under Trump and Rubio is intensifying its decades-long economic blockade of Cuba to deliberately create conditions of starvation and collapse.


The barbaric and lethal executive order signed on January 29, 2026, is economic warfare.  Trump deliberately engineers starvation and collapse.  I am so glad I never voted for this cretin.  If I had ever voted for him I think I would have to get off my ass and atone for my mistake in some way.

So it is good I never made that mistake.  I'll leave it for others to do the atoning.



COMMONDREAMS.ORG 2026-03-17

Trump Can’t Blockade Love: Why I’m Going to Cuba

Bombs have not fallen, but Trump’s economic warfare is killing children and causing deep suffering for the people of this island nation.



CUBAHEADLINES.COM 2026-03-19

Russian Oil Ships Bound for Cuba: A Defiant Move Against U.S. Energy Blockade

The Russian oil tanker, 'Anatoly Kolodkin', owned by the state-run shipping company Sovcomflot and under sanctions from the United States, the European Union, and the United Kingdom, is en route to the Matanzas oil terminal with a cargo of 730,000 barrels of crude. This significant energy shipment to Cuba marks the first in over two months, with an expected arrival on Monday, March 23.


Cuba has been without oil since January 9, following Mexico's last delivery.  After Nicolás Maduro was apprehended in an operation sanctioned by Trump on January 3rd.

RE


AFRICANEWS.COM 2026-08-19

Libya’s power crisis deepens as UN warns of fuel diversion and infrastructure strain

Libya’s worsening power crisis strains infrastructure and fuels public anger as outages persist despite heavy monthly fuel-import spending. UN envoy Hanna Serwaa Tetteh told the Security Council suspected diversion of subsidized fuel in electricity and security sectors demands stronger oversight, accountability, and investigations to ensure essential services.


Soon to be "Summer in Vegas" & "Summer in LA" as well.

RE