It is not just Energy and it is not just Oil.  Human behavior is involved.
And stupidity will be dealt with accordingly.   

Main Menu

Extreme weather comes with global heating.

Started by K-Dog, Feb 05, 2024, 12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Dog

And there will be more and more.

Some of the video I have seen on this storm is hard to believe.  Winds over the Sierra Nevada Mountains of 160 miles an hour.  I seriously have a feeling CBS only wanted to go so far showing the damage.  Other videos show much more.

Welcome to the change.

RE

Practically the entire west coast is blacked out.  Almost 1M people.

Now, if the San Andreas fault twitches, things could get really lively.  :o

RE

K-Dog

Quote from: RE on Feb 05, 2024, 12:49 PMPractically the entire west coast is blacked out.  Almost 1M people.

Now, if the San Andreas fault twitches, things could get really lively.  :o

RE

Does any of this surprise us here?  We knew gloabal heating would go into more violent weather exactly like this twenty years ago.  But, maybe I'll just speak for myself.

I did not imagine things would get so bad so fast. 

And the next time the dice rolls it could be me standing on the car.  And RE knows how much I like my car.  I am a serious doomer and I do not drive much more than I have to.  Really.  But when I do, I enjoy it.  And it looks like the enjoyment of a West Coast Atmospheric River is also in my future.

Memento Mori

Quote"Let us prepare our minds as if we'd come to the very end of life. Let us postpone nothing. Let us balance life's books each day. ... The one who puts the finishing touches on their life each day is never short of time."

Quote"Let each thing you would do, say or intend be like that of a dying person."

A slow start, but once the narration starts, it is a good report.

RE

Things are tough in LA.

Even a faint mist is enough to turn highway traffic into a high-velocity, full-contact interstate game of automotive skittles. When rain threatens to top off backyard pools, hoarding commences. As such, three solid days of downpour is the equivalent of the biblical flood, with desperate locals preparing to build arks for their Chihuahuas and Chausies out of yoga mats, Moon Juice empties and inflated Skims.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/06/opinions/california-flooding-storm-yang/index.html

Opinion: In L.A., this is the equivalent of a biblical flood. And we are not coping

RE

K-Dog

Q: How many climate change deniers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: What are you talking about, the bulb is fine.

Fantasy Girl

Quote2023 was the hottest year on record, and it was not even close. Testifying to this calamitous milestone were record-breaking extreme weather events and a record number of billion-dollar disasters — from searing heat waves to droughts, torrential rains to raging wildfires and plumes of smoke.

How did corporate media react?  They cut coverage of climate news by 25%.

Even at its height, climate reporting constituted barely more than 1% of total broadcast content.  News of the orange man and the  propaganda to re-frame the genocides America is complicit in dominate our cultural conditioning.

Competition has always been a thing in America.  Competition is considered to be the natural state of human affairs there.  Competition defined the American state and now it ushers in the American demise.  Those who benefit from current arrangements fight to keep current arrangements from changing.  The unwritten memo between the elites says "Maintain the ignorance as long as you can. Send the message the American people will get through this.  Avoid the truth."

Continue to send the message that the world we force onto everyone else is the best of all possible worlds.

In 2023, corporate broadcast TV news covered climate change for 1,032 minutes. This marked a considerable decrease from the 1,374 minutes aired in 2022 and the 1,316 minutes aired in 2021.
Combined minutes of climate coverage on ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox news.

my source

The people who fancy themselves as captains of the ship are wood-eating shipworms who eat our boat from the inside out.

RE

No big surprise, a summer of regular blackouts in TX was predicted well before the season actually began, due to the fragility of the grid and how over-taxed it is to supply the energy demands down there.  Add a little climate induced havoc, and you have an instant recipe for lights out.  Fortunately given the season and the latitude, there's little danger of anyone losing their fingers or toes to frostbite, however given their dependence on HVAC heat stroke is the more pressing health issue for them.

On the positive side, they're doing better than Mexico Shity where Day Zero is on the calendar for July.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/28/weather/texas-southern-plains-storm-forecast-tuesday/index.html

Nearly 1 million customers are without power in Texas, and it could be a 'multi-day' situation

RE

K-Dog

RE

Nice combination, Hurricane-->Power Outage-->Record Heat Wave.  I wo0nder if they'll tally the deaths from Heat Stroke and attribute them to the hurricane?

2.26M without juice, plus the remnants of Beryl are still knocking down power lines on its track north. Power company says it could be a couple of weeks to get power back on, so the body count should keep rising for a while.  Should open up a few beds in the nursing homes.

You can add a few thousand people to the homeless tally down in TX also, who can share cots with the migrants in the concentration camps.  Hopefully, Walmart has stocked up on tents.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/09/weather/beryl-storm-texas-power-outages-heat/index.html

RE

K-Dog

Oh yeah, and donch-know we be in ecological overshoot too.  Grim consequences shall be reaped when the food goes away.

Does the doom mentality I express above divert attention from keeping the eye on the ball?  I fear it does.  Humanity is in overshoot, but specific actions kill the planet.

No, don't listen to the dog. 

I say let capitalism win and remove all pain points holding back faster oil and gas production.  Warm that shit up.  Do it.

And don't watch part two.

or this