Read the newsletter The Collapse Chronicle 

Main Menu

The Exponential Function

Started by RE, May 21, 2024, 07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RE

Quote from: Goldernen Oxernen on Feb 23, 2025, 07:19 PMI never see them explain how the bills are going to get paid once they do that though.

"Quitting working" is a little misleading.  What they are quitting are typical career type jobs.  They find the money to get by in a variety of ways.

1- "Gig" jobs:  These are easy to get and quit, then find another when you run short of funds. Like Uber or Instacart.  Low paying, but unmarried and often couch surfing they have low expenses.

2- Seasonal work:  Up here, they'll work pn a fishing boat in summer and plow snow in winter.  Or work in  the ourist trade or construction in summer, and snowbird to FL in winter.

3- "Side Hustles": Usually some internet scheme.  A Gen Z couple I met traded high priced Sneakers onver the net.  Or they have a Podcast or are Tattoo artists. etc.

4- Mooching:  If they run short, they take periodic donations from retired Boomer parent

5- Gambling-  Professional Poker playin is popular.  Making book on sportss betting also.

6- Illegal shit:  Drugs, Burglary, Prostitution, Bootlegging, Scalping, Gang Protection rackets etc

RE

TDoS

Quote from: RE on Feb 23, 2025, 03:19 PM
Quote from: TDoS on Feb 23, 2025, 12:52 PMSo...arrogance and self importance and....bankruptcy? Any correlation there?

Dunno if there is a correlation between the frequency of bankruptcy by dress code, but I suspect a correlation by magnitude.  Suits have higher incomes, so the bankruptcies would tend to be bigger.

RE

I said arrogance and self importance...I'm not much for confusing ones clothing with the quality of one's ability. Or lack thereof.

Given the opportunity I use exactly that confusion IRL to sort the wheat from the chaff. I love shorts, tennis shoes and t-shirts with some inane slogan or another on it should the opportunity present itself.


TDoS

Quote from: Goldernen Oxernen on Feb 23, 2025, 07:19 PMThere are a hell of a lot of people with the ordinary jobs on utube saying theyre quitting and working is a waste of time, or explaining why everyone is doing so. I get that it barely makes ends meet, companies and conpany men who work for them are a nightmare. I never see them explain how the bills are going to get paid once they do that though. I guess they don't have a mortgage is half of the how.
The wife says Boob Tubers make mondo $$ off the advertising dollars they make doing and saying stupid things. She wants to be one of them, but can't think of enough stupid or inane things to say.

With rent being what it is nowadays, I'm not sure there is much difference in overall cost between mortgages and renting in my area. Repairs and whatnot sure, but when a rental worth $600K goes for $3000/month and a 30-yr mortgage on $600K is maybe $3200, seems like a wash.


TDoS

Quote from: Goldernen Oxernen on Feb 25, 2025, 04:40 PMI just think too much of a big deal is being made of no longer affording the American Dream for the avg person. Its an artifact of the permanent position/golden handshake for a career at one company and trade unions making relatively unskilled labour into a new high standard of living. That went hand in hand with about a century of boom times and super abundant energy. There was no great stress and burden to buying your small 3x1 along with a big new car at least once a decade for no more than half of their pay cheque. People did this typically with a wife working part time or not at all.

I think post WWII America, its position, standing and non-infrastructure destruction was a one off.

And then, along the way, things changed. Because...things don't stay the same. The rest of the world rebuilt, and we helped them, and that generated the manufacturing economy that was quite the envy of the world for a long time.

And nowadays, things are different. Good, bad or indifferent, evolution is all about adapt or die.

Or, in modern America, the old geezers talk about the "good ol days" and younglings make fun of us, and there are plenty left out just as there are a few with far MORE than plenty for themselves.

Have no fear though....personal doom will get us all soon...and it'll be their problem. All us geezers here got ours. 

RE

Quote from: Goldernen Oxernen on Feb 25, 2025, 04:40 PMPaying 250$ a week for a room in a 3 bedroom house, being a third of that 3000$/ month rent is not a giant weight on the shoulders of the avg single person on an avg income.

You're living in the past.  1 bedroom apts rent for $3000/mo.  Houses go $5000 and up.

RE

TDoS

#20
Quote from: RE on Feb 25, 2025, 08:53 PMYou're living in the past.  1 bedroom apts rent for $3000/mo.  Houses go $5000 and up.
RE

Major metro downtown 1 bedroom apartment rent maybe $1800/month. Single space garage parking included. Looked to be young professionals when examining them with .....family.....

1-2 bedroom, 1300 sq feet, included garage townhomes, $270k, mortgage at about $2200? Estimating slighty.

$3500/month mortgage $610k house, 3.5% down.

Most expensive non-coastal city in the US. All numbers on signed contracts within past 18 months or so, so reasonably current information.

I remember when Alaska was REAL expensive, back in the day, compared to every other place I ever looked at working. Last time I checked, it looked like the rest of the world just caught up.

TDoS doesn't do real estate. Don't like it, owning, renting, fixing, selling it, it always feels...dirty.

K-Dog

#21
Quote from: Goldernen Oxernen on Feb 25, 2025, 10:03 PM
Quote from: RE on Feb 25, 2025, 08:53 PM
Quote from: Goldernen Oxernen on Feb 25, 2025, 04:40 PMPaying 250$ a week for a room in a 3 bedroom house, being a third of that 3000$/ month rent is not a giant weight on the shoulders of the avg single person on an avg income.

You're living in the past.  1 bedroom apts rent for $3000/mo.  Houses go $5000 and up.

RE

TDOS should squeeze his tennants more then.

The 1br has to be 'up to' rather than 'and up' though. Between a fold out bed and bunkbed, 3k$ is still ok for 3 people at 250$/week each.

I get your point of view.  You consider people capable of getting their shit together and making things work.  Lower housing expenses, find a roommate.  No problemo.  Simply get thy shit together.  Personally my housing situation is not a concern at this time.  And part of keeping my shit together is not messing up a good thing.  Making bank while I still can.

But not everyone can get their shit together.  Some people despite being considered human, need to have everything planned out for them.  Without a script they have no fucking clue.  Some people also have toxic personalities.  Finding a roommate is impossible for them.

It is a situation full of contradictions, where personal flaws can cause financial ruin.

TDoS

Quote from: K-Dog on Feb 26, 2025, 11:16 AMMaking bank while I still can.

At your age? Why? What's the matter with doing the retiree gig full time?

K-Dog

#23
Quote from: TDoS on Feb 26, 2025, 05:08 PM
Quote from: K-Dog on Feb 26, 2025, 11:16 AMMaking bank while I still can.

At your age? Why? What's the matter with doing the retiree gig full time?


In a sense you are right.  On the other hand the small amount my McJob pays makes a significant difference in lifestyle, and 'huffin the bale' makes for a remarkably physically fit fossil.  There are downsides and upsides as in any situation.  And best way for retired fossils to keep mentally fit is physical exercise.  Ask a doctor about that, and they will agree.  The exercise makes for healthy circulation.  The brain likes exercise better than crossword puzzles.

About 20% of people plan on working after retirement but only 10% do.  Physical restraints kill the dream of half of people who want to keep working in retirement.  That is my guess for the reason, so when I say:

QuoteMaking bank while I still can.

I mean it.  The day will come when I can't work.  Youth and vigor will do me in.

One one hand you are absolutely right.  I do have more retirement savings than the median American.  On the other hand that means absolutely nothing.  Most Americans have jack shit saved for retirement.  I do have more than jack shit, but I do not have as much as Jack has.  But since I am able to save something, my stash is growing instead of slowly shrinking as would be the case if I were not working.  Considering that fact puts me more way more ahead at the end of a year than I would otherwise be.

I know of one Republican who 'lost 100K under Biden'.  He thinks Trump will 'fix things'.  My prediction is at the end of four more years of Trump the asshole will be down 200K more and I will be up 100K should we both still be kicking.  Fear of what rich lame brain white whale assholes may do to fuck the rest of us over next keeps me working.

I'm worried about RE, the racist white whales currently running the show may soon do him in.  His situation is only as resilient as the government is.  These days that is not saying much.

TDoS

Quote from: K-Dog on Feb 27, 2025, 04:58 AMI'm worried about RE, the racist white whales currently running the show may soon do him in.  His situation is only as resilient as the government is.  These days that is not saying much.

His options are certainly limited. I find it unlikely that in 4 years our Dear Leader will torpedo enough of the country/economy to degrade it to the point where they are emptying out the cripple care facilities and letting them duke it out with the non-crippled homeless for dumpster scraps.

RE

It will be interesting to see how it develops.  In my favor here are demographics, the sheer number of people who are currently covered by Medicaid who would be unable to pay the outrageous prices charged by care facilities that warehouse the old and crippled until they expire.  We're not talking a few thousand federal workers here, it's millions of people.

Besides the direct recipients, the industry that depends on us as the source of their profits is huge. Thousands of doctors and nurses get their paychecks from this business, along with administrators and corporate board of directors.  So a complete defunding would create total chaos, which CONgress critters are aware of.

I expect to see some cuts at the federal level with states forced to pick up more of the tab themselves.  Reimbursement rates probably get shaved and staff ratios will get even worse.  Food will get worse.  I seriously doubt I'll be out on the street at this point.  A lot of people would have to go before me who are less of a basket case.

Under the worst case scenario,  I have a Plan B and Plan C alternatives to try.  Not there yet though.

RE