Figure out how to live in the worst-case. 
Or play Rambo in the woods, and max out your privilege. 

Your thoughts?

Main Menu

This Woman Turned Her Tesla Model 3 Into a Pickup Truck

Started by K-Dog, Jul 05, 2023, 09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RE

Repairing EV batts sounds like a great side hustle to do out of your garage if you're good with electrics.  How much do you think you'd need to spend on tools and diagnostics equipment to set up shop?  Guesses anybody?

https://qz.com/evs-are-dying-fast-and-the-repair-industry-is-lagging-1851450290

Electric cars are dying fast and the repair industry is lagging

RE

TDoS

Quote from: RE on May 02, 2024, 08:15 AMRepairing EV batts sounds like a great side hustle to do out of your garage if you're good with electrics.  How much do you think you'd need to spend on tools and diagnostics equipment to set up shop?  Guesses anybody?

Electric cars are dying fast and the repair industry is lagging

RE

238k miles on 2 of them and nothing has broken on either yet. Shocks...I wore out 2 sets of shocks on the higher mileage one. So maybe the repair industry is dying because not all EVs are built poorly?

RE

Quote from: TDoS on May 03, 2024, 08:49 AM238k miles on 2 of them and nothing has broken on either yet. Shocks...I wore out 2 sets of shocks on the higher mileage one. So maybe the repair industry is dying because not all EVs are built poorly?

To die it would have had to live first.  Since the problem is the length of the waiting list to get a repair of the batts done, obviously there aren't enough technicians doing these repairs.  Insufficient supply results in waiting lists.  See the affordable housing problem and the medical industry, they both have the same problem.

RE

TDoS

Quote from: RE on May 03, 2024, 12:44 PM
Quote from: TDoS on May 03, 2024, 08:49 AM238k miles on 2 of them and nothing has broken on either yet. Shocks...I wore out 2 sets of shocks on the higher mileage one. So maybe the repair industry is dying because not all EVs are built poorly?

To die it would have had to live first.
Feel free to email the author if all you've got nowadays is being pedantic. I understand how to go with the flow, and if the concept is dying, I'll stick with flow.

Quote from: RESince the problem is the length of the waiting list to get a repair of the batts done, obviously there aren't enough technicians doing these repairs.
Or people are buying cars with really shitty batteries, or not caring for them properly? SOC in my high mileage EV is probably 80% of new, and 10 years old now. The lower mileage one is about 90%, and is 9 years old. Both or either batteries will probably outlive me.

I will be happy to engage in detailed conversations with anyone here with experience with these types of larger EV batteries of course, their care and feeding, tips and tricks on how to make them last and not need to be replaced and repaired within a decade and 100k miles of use. 

RE

This time it's not the Chinese who are toast, it's their competition in the EV market.  According to this review of the recent Chinese auto show, they have cheaper prices and a superior product.  The only problem is so far almost none of them are available for purchase in the FSoA.  Even WITH the ridiculously high tariffs, they're still a better buy than the crap coming from Tesla and Detroit carmakers.

Rght now the problem is there are TOO MANY of them, and they're not all gonna last. Quite a few will close up shop as the market consolidates.  Trying to get one repaired here in the FSoA would probably be impossible.  So for the time being, if you have one shipped over here, you're pretty much on your own.

https://insideevs.com/features/719015/china-is-ahead-of-west/

I Went To China And Drove A Dozen Electric Cars. Western Automakers Are Cooked

RE

TDoS

Quote from: RE on May 10, 2024, 08:19 AMEven WITH the ridiculously high tariffs, they're still a better buy than the crap coming from Tesla and Detroit carmakers.
RE
Just got EV#1 out of the garage, crap built by Detroit automakers. A decade old now, I'll admit it has needed a couple sets of rear shocks, but 175k miles now and I'm thinking....get it out to make sure it still runs like the top, or quiver in fear and put it back in the garage?

Dunno....you use your electric far more often than I do...endless running around whereas mine is more occasional. 1000 miles here, 1000 miles there. Maybe I should just keep driving the other electric, it has fewer miles on it, is 1 year newer, and hasn't had the horrors of crap shocks needing replaced yet. Plus, it is built in Japan, so, no Detroit involvement there.

TDoS

Quote from: TDoS on May 10, 2024, 03:58 PM
Quote from: RE on May 10, 2024, 08:19 AMEven WITH the ridiculously high tariffs, they're still a better buy than the crap coming from Tesla and Detroit carmakers.
RE
Just got EV#1 out of the garage, crap built by Detroit automakers. A decade old now, I'll admit it has needed a couple sets of rear shocks, but 175k miles now and I'm thinking....get it out to make sure it still runs like the top, or quiver in fear and put it back in the garage?

Dunno....you use your electric far more often than I do...endless running around whereas mine is more occasional. 1000 miles here, 1000 miles there. Maybe I should just keep driving the other electric, it has fewer miles on it, is 1 year newer, and hasn't had the horrors of crap shocks needing replaced yet. Plus, it is built in Japan, so, no Detroit involvement there.

Great article by the way. The wife has been after me for a Model Y, and when I compared it to other car makers more "car" makers than iPhone on wheels makers, she bashed the width of their small stupid screens as opposed to Elon's huge ridiculous thing he drops into his cars.

There is a picture in that article of a car with a screen that stretches about the entire length of the cockpit, and when I showed it to the wife she was like "that is cool! Who makes that and I can get it!" Buying a car because of a screen...geez. I told her it was Chinese and she couldn't have it and to suck it up and stick with reliable Japanese stuff that isn't chock full of Chinese spyware recording her every move. Just like the Tesla she wants I imagine.

RE

Quote from: TDoS on May 10, 2024, 04:22 PMI told her it was Chinese and she couldn't have it and to suck it up and stick with reliable Japanese stuff that isn't chock full of Chinese spyware recording her every move. Just like the Tesla she wants I imagine.

So far, they haven't made the cripple scooters & wheelchairs smart enough to spy on what goes on inside an FSoA Warehouse for the crippled and dying boomers.  I wouldn't mind having a touchscreen, voice controls and an eyeball tracker that would take the chair in the direction I look at.

RE

RE

If you can't beat 'em, tax 'em.  Motto of the capitalists who can't compete.

The Chinese have so thoroughly out performed FSoA based EV manufacturers that they have persuaded the Goobermint they despise for regulating them to protect them by now raising Tariffs on imports to...get this... 100%!!!  I take back what I said earlier that Chinese EVs were a better buy with the "ridiculous" tariffs, which at the time were ridiculous at 25%.  Now however they have jacked it way past ridiculous to Protectionism on Steroids at 100%.

This will effectively make Chinese EVs impossible to buy here, but it will also kill any sale of FSoA EVs to China, since they will most certainly retaliate in kind.  It also means FSoA EVs won't sell anywhere else in the world because Chinese EVs will be so much cheaper nobody will buy them.

If I were the CCP, I would also retaliate with tariffs on exports of chips and other parts used for the manufacture of FSoA EVs to 100%.  This has the makings of a major trade war, which just about always evolves into the more lively kind of war.

This is failure on the grand scale technologically speaking.  Sure, the Chiinese play fast and loose with environmental regulations and they pay slave wages to their workers, but that has been true in every industry and until now was embraced by FSoA capitalists as a way to improve their profits by moving their manufacturing to China.  Now that Chinese companies are making the profits, all of a sudden it's unfair.  Talk about hypocrisy.

It also pretty much dooms the FSoA EV industry, since there aren't enough people with enough money to buy expensive EVs currently manufactured here.

After a brief vacation with some Hopium, today our future survival prognosis has dipped back again down to the 99% dieoff range.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-plans-raise-tariffs-electric-vehicles-china-rcna151748

https://www.ft.com/content/9b79b340-50e0-4813-8ed2-42a30e544e58

US set to impose 100% tariff on Chinese electric vehicle imports

RE

K-Dog

Quote from: RE on May 11, 2024, 07:21 PMIf you can't beat 'em, tax 'em.  Motto of the capitalists who can't compete.

The Chinese have so thoroughly out performed FSoA based EV manufacturers that they have persuaded the Goobermint they despise for regulating them to protect them by now raising Tariffs on imports to...get this... 100%!!!  I take back what I said earlier that Chinese EVs were a better buy with the "ridiculous" tariffs, which at the time were ridiculous at 25%.  Now however they have jacked it way past ridiculous to Protectionism on Steroids at 100%.

This will effectively make Chinese EVs impossible to buy here, but it will also kill any sale of FSoA EVs to China, since they will most certainly retaliate in kind.  It also means FSoA EVs won't sell anywhere else in the world because Chinese EVs will be so much cheaper nobody will buy them.

If I were the CCP, I would also retaliate with tariffs on exports of chips and other parts used for the manufacture of FSoA EVs to 100%.  This has the makings of a major trade war, which just about always evolves into the more lively kind of war.

This is failure on the grand scale technologically speaking.  Sure, the Chiinese play fast and loose with environmental regulations and they pay slave wages to their workers, but that has been true in every industry and until now was embraced by FSoA capitalists as a way to improve their profits by moving their manufacturing to China.  Now that Chinese companies are making the profits, all of a sudden it's unfair.  Talk about hypocrisy.

It also pretty much dooms the FSoA EV industry, since there aren't enough people with enough money to buy expensive EVs currently manufactured here.

After a brief vacation with some Hopium, today our future survival prognosis has dipped back again down to the 99% dieoff range.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-plans-raise-tariffs-electric-vehicles-china-rcna151748

https://www.ft.com/content/9b79b340-50e0-4813-8ed2-42a30e544e58

US set to impose 100% tariff on Chinese electric vehicle imports

RE

Quote"We don't think the playing field is level," Yellen responded. "And we think China is massively subsidizing investment in this set of industries that they have targeted as critical to their growth prospects."

The bitch thinks it is a game.  She thinks some people have a right to force other people to buy from them?  That these same born to wear a suit people have a right to profit from exploiting others (you and me) without working themselves? 

Strange indeed.  I always thought the rules of capitalism were that if you can't compete you go out of business.  Is there a thing called too rich to fail?  Must be.  Don't people like Yellen usually claim competition keeps capitalism fair?  The take away seems to be that protecting dynastic suit wearing wealth is more important than competition.

Playing field really?  Who gets to play?  Is it my turn yet?  What do you mean I don't get to play?  Who gets to play then?

If an American owned company were using a Chinese  factory everything would be hunky dory.  But liberal free-market globalism isn't what it used to be so it seems.  The Chinese are supposed to be slave workers not owners.  It seems the plan of Rich American Useless Eaters had a few holes.  It was not thought out too well.  Given time the other foot would try on the shoe.  Apparently the American MOFOs who set up the current free trade arrangement expected the next generation to reap the consequences of the shoe moving to the other foot, not them.  Surprise surprise.

If it is a game, why didn't America subsidize electric cars.  Or do we have arbitrary rules.  Nobody asked me if I wanted to play Yellen's game.  Regarding a tariff, the only issue should be are the Chinese auto workers getting a fair wage.  And there is no Yellen about that, and there never will be!

RE

Quote from: KdogIf it is a game, why didn't America subsidize electric cars.  Or do we have arbitrary rules.  Nobody asked me if I wanted to play Yellen's game.  Regarding a tariff, the only issue should be are the Chinese auto workers getting a fair wage.  And there is no Yellen about that, and there never will be!

It ain't about the wages, because if it was, Amerikan manufacturers could simply put the factories in Mejico or half a dozen other SA countries where there are gobs of UE people looking for jobs at any wage.  It would slow down the immigration problem also.  It's just an epic failure to compete, and the response is so knee jerk simplistic and bound to fail it boggles the mind.

First off, it means FSoA EVs won't sell in Europe EITHER because they will not drop on 100% tarriffs, they want cheap EVs people can afford.  Besides that, the Eurotrash have their own EV models coming in at close to the same prices as the Chinese ones.  So unless we add 100% tariffs to those, they will hit the market here instead.  The Euros might drop a 25% tariff on since their cheap EVs aren't as high tech and cool to keep them somewhat competitive, but no way will they go up to 100%.

This leaves FSoA car manufacturers with ONLY the local market to sell to, they are shut out globally of the rest of the world.  GM & Ford international divisions are a substantial piece of their annual revenue stream.  They can kiss that goodbye.

The question is, will the Amerikan Konsumer rebel here?  The same people who buy EVs are the ones who travel overseas and take vacations in Europe and China too.  Don't you think a few will be a little ticked off when they walk around Paris or London and see EVs in showroom windows brand new listing at €15K?

Also, what's to stop you from buying one down in Mexico and driving it back home?  Are they going to charge you the tariff at the border when you cross?  How do they know WTF you paid for the car?  As long as you have it registered and have legal plates on it, it's none of their bizness how much you paid for the car.  Maybe you won it in a poker game.

Want a Chinese EV?  Here's my instructions.

Contact a car dealership in Tiajuana.  Give their address as the importer.  Pay the Dealership maybe $500 for receiving and storage.  Pay the Chinese exporter for the car and the shipping cost.  Maybe $2000 in shipping.  Find out the tariff they will charge at the port when the dealer picks it up.  I'll guess 10%, Mexicans aren't in a trade war with the Chinese.  So on a $15K car, $1500.  Your cost flying 1 way to Mexico to pick it up, max $300 from anywhere in the lower 48.  Your total cost, $19,300 for the car.

After it arrives at the dealership, get the VIN number, make & model from him over the phone, and have him fax you the bill of sale.  Go to your local DMV with the paperwork and your home address and get plates for the car before you fly down to pick it up.  Arrive in Tijuana, stop for a Dos Equis and Burrito on the way to the dealership, hand the dealer $500, bolt the plates on the car and drive it home.  You can stop and pick up some cheap antibiotics and opiates if you have a prescription, and stop for some dental work also before crossing the border coming home.

The only possible problem I see is in the registration, I don't know if the VIN numbers will work at the DMV.  It's possible that the way they do the tariff is the manufacturer has to pay the tariff in order to get the VIN number authorized in the FSoA, but I don't *think* it's done that way.  DMV is a State agency, not Federal.  I think they handle the VIN numbers.  I may be wrong there though.  If it is done that way, perhaps you would get caught if the state doesn't find the VIN number as authorized, then they wouldn't let you register the car

In this case, you would either have to register it in Mexico and get Mexican plates on it, or take plates from another car and use them.  They wouldn't match the car though, which gets you in trouble if you get pulled over for a traffic violation.  However, I don't think it works this way.  Obviously, find out first before you try this.  If any of you do try it, le me know if it works.

RE

Normally, I think import tariffs are collected at the port where the vehicles arrive and they are listed in the manifest of the containers on the ship.  So when a car arrives from China in Mexico, the importer pays the tariff to the Mexican goobermint before they will release it from the Customs impound lot.  Once you've paid that, the car is yours.   

RE

The Chinese have wasted no time in calling out the new tariffs as in violation of WTO rules, making all the obvious (& true) points that this won't really bother the Chinese producers who have their own consumers & the rest of the world to sell their cars to, but mainly hurt FSoA consumers who have to pay more for the locally made dogshit.  They also point out the FSoA subsidizes EVs here at least as much if not more than they do, and the real problem is just that they can't compete.

The other point they make is that this is a "political move" to help the Dems in an election year, except I don't see how it heps whe inflation is killing consumers purchasing power, keeping affordable EVs off the market here helps so much.  About the only people it helps are Auto workers, who see this as a way to protect their jobs.  Except the UAW is already staunchly Democratic and you're not going to get any extra votes.  It's also pretty much bullshit that it protects their jobs, because as I mentioned previously, they will lose jobs anyhow because the cars they are building are too expensive for most people to buy.

So, we'll see how long the mega-tariff strategy works.  I doubt it will help Tesla sell many more of their overpriced dogshit, and Muskrat has petty much given up on the sales model and wants to turn Tesla into a RoboTaxi service anyhow.  GM & Ford have decided they will just go back to selling gas guzzling SUVs & Pickups, which are doing just fine since there's still plenty of gas at the pumps.  So lots of Greenwashing about Hydrogen cars and renewable electrification projects, but same old same old in the transportation industry in the FSoA, Land of the free and home of the Happy Motorist.  So it goes.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202405/1312126.shtml

US reported tariffs of Chinese EV to backfire: experts

RE

RE

According to Electrive, the L6 went on presale in April and is expected to officially hit the market in May.

Will the Chinese retaliate & add a 100% export tariff onto the new batt?  I certainly would if I was the CCP.

https://www.thecooldown.com/green-tech/semi-solid-state-batteries-ev-im-motors-cost-range/

Chinese automaker launches EV that could eliminate major issue with electric cars: 'Will completely solve the mileage anxiety'

RE

RE

Trying to decipher the claims made in this latest hype of a new battery technology was not easy.  It's a REALLY bad translation from Chinese or the tech writer himself is Chinese with a poor command of english who tried to explain it directly.  I suspect if he wrote it in Chinese and haf Google translate do the English translation, it would have been more clear.

In any event, at first I thought this was another claim of using Water as fuel to produce Hydrogen, but it's not.  It's just a different Chemistry for a type of rechargeable battery to replace Li-I chemistry.  The claim is that the battery has a far greater capacity for holding charge for a given size and weight.  In other words, greater energy density.  Based on what this guy wrote in garbled english, is it possible and what is it?

The answer is a qualified yes.  The key is the materials used for Cathode and Anode.  The anode is aluminum and cathode is magnesium oxide.  Why it's possible is because the oxidation-reduction of aluminum atoms has about the largest potential difference of any element on the periodic table.  It's sort of a Mt Everest of potential energy for electrons that a rock has thrown off the top of Everest.

Why I find it questionable is the use of water as the electrolyte and Protons fron the water as the positive ion charge carrier.  That is very novel and weird battery chemistry.  The author also mentions ATP as involved in this whole business somehow, which is totally out of place.  ATP is an organic molecule used for energy transport in all living cells, but not in inorganic chemistry.  Perhaps the author was just trying to make an analogy on energy density, otherwise it's nuts.

If the batt in fact works, it would give a much larger range between charges, though not infinite.  It might give you something like a 1000 mile range though.

If they do make one, it will have a 100% tariff on it. lol.

https://www.ecoticias.com/en/first-water-battery-car/2175/

The first water battery that your car can carry: infinite autonomy without recharging

RE

RE